How long... 2nd fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartmarler

From Sunny Worthing. New Brewer.
Reaction score
My first brew lit, an MYO American IPA was in the fermenter 2 weeks, now its in a plastic keg, with 85g of granulated sugar, for 2nd fermentation.... should be ready in one week.

When should I stop the heat, and cold crash (cold here in South England) ... after the 1 week, or after 2.

Then how long to clear the beer, in cold crash scenario?

Really am trying to be patient!!

A good rule of thumb is 2+2+2.

2 weeks in the fermenter
2 weeks in the keg carbonating
2 weeks in the fridge/garage "conditioning"

Though to be honest, carbonating and conditioning happen at the same time. I would leave it on the heat in the barrel for 2 weeks, then stop the heat. Then start drinking anywhere from 1 week later.

A good rule of thumb is 2+2+2.

2 weeks in the fermenter
2 weeks in the keg carbonating
2 weeks in the fridge/garage "conditioning"

Though to be honest, carbonating and conditioning happen at the same time. I would leave it on the heat in the barrel for 2 weeks, then stop the heat. Then start drinking anywhere from 1 week later.
So 4 weeks 'warm'?

My first brew lit, an MYO American IPA was in the fermenter 2 weeks, now its in a plastic keg, with 85g of granulated sugar, for 2nd fermentation.... should be ready in one week.

When should I stop the heat, and cold crash (cold here in South England) ... after the 1 week, or after 2.

Then how long to clear the beer, in cold crash scenario?

Really am trying to be patient!!
I think you have got things the wrong way around. Ferment for 10 days to two weeks, cold crash to clear, (a couple of days at 1C) make priming solution for your keg, let it cool, pour into keg then decant clear wort from the fermenter leaving the lees behind. Seal and leave for two weeks. Don't be so heavy-handed on the sugar.

I fermented for 2 weeks.
Then I wanted to bottle it but instead put into a keg, with 85g of sugar.

People been saying to leave it now for another 2 weeks, then cold crash ( I presume just take off the heat/warmth) for 2 weeks?!

I think you have got things the wrong way around. Ferment for 10 days to two weeks, cold crash to clear, (a couple of days at 1C) make priming solution for your keg, let it cool, pour into keg then decant clear wort from the fermenter leaving the lees behind. Seal and leave for two weeks. Don't be so heavy-handed on the sugar.
That's basically what I have done!

That's basically what I have done!
When should I stop the heat, and cold crash (cold here in South England) ... after the 1 week, or after 2. (end quote.)

Reads like you added the sugar before cold crashing.

I fermented for 2 weeks.
Then I wanted to bottle it but instead put into a keg, with 85g of sugar.

People been saying to leave it now for another 2 weeks, then cold crash ( I presume just take off the heat/warmth) for 2 weeks?!

I think you're slightly confusing the term "cold crash". Cold crash is when people drop the temperature of the primary fermenter at the end of fermentation (ie, around week 2 in your case). It helps the yeast drop out of suspension so you get clearer beer into the bottles/keg. You don't need to do the cold crash and can just bottle/keg from the fermenter at room temperature.

Then (when bottle/cask conditioning like you are) you add the sugar and let it referment for another 2 weeks - the sugar gets turned into CO2 by the yeast and carbonates the beer. At this point, it's still fairly cloudy with suspended yeast.

Then you cold condition it (not called a cold crash at this point, even though it's basically the same thing) which at this point if the year is "chuck it in the garage" (even in summer, if you can't cool it you just leave it in a dark coolish place) and the yeast (which has finished fermenting your 85g priming sugar) drops to the bottom of the keg and the beer clears. This is normally for a couple of weeks, but can be shorter.

After this, the yeast has settled to the bottom of the cask so when you pour the beer out of the tap it should be clear and fizzy (apart from the first pint which will contain the yeast that's settled inside the tap/pipe etc).

In short, your doing the right thing:
2 weeks in the fermenter (warm)
Put into keg with priming sugar
2 weeks warm
2 weeks cold
(Keep until you want to open it, it can last months)
Drink

I think you're slightly confusing the term "cold crash". Cold crash is when people drop the temperature of the primary fermenter at the end of fermentation (ie, around week 2 in your case). It helps the yeast drop out of suspension so you get clearer beer into the bottles/keg. You don't need to do the cold crash and can just bottle/keg from the fermenter at room temperature.

Then (when bottle/cask conditioning like you are) you add the sugar and let it referment for another 2 weeks - the sugar gets turned into CO2 by the yeast and carbonates the beer. At this point, it's still fairly cloudy with suspended yeast.

Then you cold condition it (not called a cold crash at this point, even though it's basically the same thing) which at this point if the year is "chuck it in the garage" (even in summer, if you can't cool it you just leave it in a dark coolish place) and the yeast (which has finished fermenting your 85g priming sugar) drops to the bottom of the keg and the beer clears. This is normally for a couple of weeks, but can be shorter.

After this, the yeast has settled to the bottom of the cask so when you pour the beer out of the tap it should be clear and fizzy (apart from the first pint which will contain the yeast that's settled inside the tap/pipe etc).

In short, your doing the right thing:
2 weeks in the fermenter (warm)
Put into keg with priming sugar
2 weeks warm
2 weeks cold
(Keep until you want to open it, it can last months)
Drink
Perfect, thank you.

Back