How long before drinking an IIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I did my HBC IIPA I split it in half as at that time I never had the facility to make the full batch

My first half was 6.5% that was great after 2weeks cold 2 weeks warm (swap that around lol)

the second half the efficiency went through the roof was was about 8%!!!! that had the hot alcohol.. I reckon 6 weeks in the cold it will be fine.. You obviously have the trade off with hop flavours and balance..

I am **** at leaving so I would be trying one at least per week until I knew it was good.

Yes well, as a huge gesture to you all I shall be trying one a week and reporting back. All for you guys you understand.

They've had a few days at 12* now and looking through the bottle they are defo a lot clearer. Next taster will be at the weekend.

22*c plus a degree or so for the thermic activity. Why's that fella?

I've only noticed the 'hot alcohol' flavour when the ferment temperature has got higher than I would have liked, particularly during the early stages of the fermentation.

It may not have anything to do with it, and be purely down to a young, high abv beer. However, 23/24° definitely rates as somewhat higher than I would care for in the early stages .

I've only noticed the 'hot alcohol' flavour when the ferment temperature has got higher than I would have liked, particularly during the early stages of the fermentation.

It may not have anything to do with it, and be purely down to a young, high abv beer. However, 23/24° definitely rates as somewhat higher than I would care for in the early stages .

Fair point.
I was hoping that White labs info of up to 22* was only a guideline, as it says that as an optimum range not as a highest temp. We shall see, I think it'll be ok.

Fair point.
I was hoping that White labs info of up to 22* was only a guideline, as it says that as an optimum range not as a highest temp. We shall see, I think it'll be ok.

Yes, I neglected to say 'using the yeast I use'. There are quite wide differences with the different strains of yeast, although I do like to err on the side of caution with regard to temperature.

yup the yeast used is the most important factor of what temp to ferment at.

after all its the yeast that actually make the beer:pray:

i've been brewing my latest creation at around 24 deg c but the yeast will be ok with 28 :grin:

Popped another last night, massive improvement. The hot alcohol flavour has gone, I'm still not getting much in the way of hops though, the esters from the yeast seem to be dominating now... I'll give it another week to see if the hops start to come through. I wonder what this would be like now if I'd used WLP001 (my usual for ipa's and pa's), theres a good way to find out, I feel a brewday coming on!

It depends on what your aiming for from an IPA. Double (American view) means double kick to the gonads.
Most IPAs are made for super freshness. Should be drunk 2 weeks out. But I just can't take the punch to the face. I let mine settle like a hoppy ALE!!

Popped another last night, massive improvement. The hot alcohol flavour has gone, I'm still not getting much in the way of hops though, the esters from the yeast seem to be dominating now... I'll give it another week to see if the hops start to come through. I wonder what this would be like now if I'd used WLP001 (my usual for ipa's and pa's), theres a good way to find out, I feel a brewday coming on!

I'm not sure you'll get as much hop flavour as you want now as it should start off strong then diminish. the esters will tone down over time but so will the hops. whilst the malty aspects of the beer will improve over time.

I'm not sure you'll get as much hop flavour as you want now as it should start off strong then diminish. the esters will tone down over time but so will the hops. whilst the malty aspects of the beer will improve over time.

Yes, I was thinking that...
Oh well! It's interesting to experiment with different yeasts, I'm going to keep the recipe the same and go back to using 001 to see the effect it has.
Just have to find someone will img to chug 23l of a non hoppy IPA lol!
It's ok, my brother is a bit like a cross between Oliver Reed and Keith Ffloyd.

Yes, I was thinking that...
Oh well! It's interesting to experiment with different yeasts, I'm going to keep the recipe the same and go back to using 001 to see the effect it has.
Just have to find someone will img to chug 23l of a non hoppy IPA lol!
It's ok, my brother is a bit like a cross between Oliver Reed and Keith Ffloyd.

just call it a Belgian imperial ale :-) works for me. it could still get closer to what you like just not exactly what you expected it to be but without experimenting how would you discover new tastes to do like?

i'd still be on lager now. actually, no i wouldn't i'd be on tap water - no difference there then :wink:

Back