How long does homebrew last?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinopolis

Reaction score
Hello!
Has anyone ever come across a definitive answer to how long bottled beer keeps for? I know that high alcohol stuff lasts longer, but I'd like to know what it would be for something around 4%. The information I've been able to find seems to suggest anywhere between three and 12 months. I suppose it's possible that there isn't an answer!

From what i have read I would say this is about right - at its best within 6 months, still plenty drinkable at about 12 months and beyond that it can begin tasting pretty stale.

I did a batch of Festival's Limited Edition Summer Glory Golden Ale back in September '13. Thinking it wasn't going to be reissued I made it last as long as possible, and have been trying them every now and then, and the last one sampled in December was fine. In the spirit of scientific curiosity I've just opened one of the few remaining bottles and it has got an obvious stale taste (enough to make it not worth drinking) that wasn't at all noticeable in the last one. I'm not too bothered as I bought two more kits last year when it came out again - I'll drink them quicker this time :)

The stalesness may be down to the bottles being the Coopers PET screwtop type (I've read some on here don't like them, particularly for long term storage), or it may be that 12-15 months really is the limit. I've got several other brews done early last year, in the same bottles, and they are still spot on. I use a lot more glass bottles now, so it will be interesting to see how old brews in them compare.

In the past I have found bottles that have been at least two years old if not older and I drank them and thought they were great so in a glass brown bottle it will last two maybe three years then after that who knows

It's all down to the alcohol content, your sanitation standard, the temperature you keep it at and whether you keep the bottles in the dark or not. Personally I find it difficult to understand how anyone can keep their beer that long anyway - I'm usually on the last bottle by the time it's just getting properly conditioned.:lol:

I just tried another one from the same batch (also in a PET bottle) and it was spot on. No hint of staleness or off flavours. Not bad for 17 months in plastic :) Overall not very conclusive as to how long bottled beer keeps!

I think yesterday's one was only the second duff bottle (poor sanitation, infection or whatever) I've had in about 20 bottled brews, so not bad going.

It's all down to the alcohol content, your sanitation standard, the temperature you keep it at and whether you keep the bottles in the dark or not. Personally I find it difficult to understand how anyone can keep their beer that long anyway - I'm usually on the last bottle by the time it's just getting properly conditioned.:lol:

LOL yes, the last few beers of a batch are usually beautifully conditioned!

Just finished a batch of Wherry from July so that's 8 months and the last bottle was the best of the lot. That's in glass brown bottles - I had 40 wilko golden ale and 40 Wherry tweak to go at so that's why I was able to spin out the first Wherry to see if it got even better after six months.

My wilko golden ale was brewed in Dec 2013. In Aug 2014 it was a little flat. I last tried it in Sept 2014 and it had developed a strong after taste. This brew is kegged. At one stage it went flat but I recovered it by injecting co2. I have not tried it since then. I have about 20 pints left in the keg but I assume after all this time it would be better usef on the garden!

How can one tell if a (kegged) brew is 'dead'?

Latest posts

Back