how long

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
how long have you been doing homebrew
and how long on this forum
me I been doing homebrew about 20 years on and off. and been on this forum from jan this year. and had some grate help to get me where I am now.

Did 3 kits over about 4 years then got the bug properly last summer and went straight to stove top all grain and now a grainfather. Been on the forums since last summer/autumn, been a great help.

Have been brewing for 3 years and 3 days. Did my 49th all grain homebrew at the weekend. Not that I'm counting. ;)

Joined the forum in October last year.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Been brewing for 36 years and on the forum for mebbe 4 months. An you know what? After 36 years in the game I'm still learning and trying to improve on the last brew. Some of us are never satisfied huh?

Been brewing for 36 years and on the forum for mebbe 4 months. An you know what? After 36 years in the game I'm still learning and trying to improve on the last brew. Some of us are never satisfied huh?
well maybe we get it right with what we want and how we want it to be
one day we all live in hope

I'm 37, started homebrewing when i was in my early 20's, it was **** beer but drinkable. Had a break and re started in my early 30's and now thanks to me having more patience the beer was good. another 2 year break thanks to a divorce and i'm back all grain brewing and hopefully no more breaks.

i brewed kits with small embelishments generally brewing a tad long or short from the mid 70's till the mid 90's till a small 1 bed flat and a g/f without an appreciation for a brewbucket glugging in the background made me stash the kit in the loft.. Fast forward a decade and a bigger house and freedom to brew again, and the web had changed things dramatically, no longer was my knowledge base limited to the library shelves and my collection of charity shop bought brewbibles. One evening i had a whim to get a kit on and within the hour i was reading about folks using corny kegs and mainstream AG brewing -
Id read about this in a battered paperback from the 70's by the wine guy c jj berry iirc? and now those odd hand drawn sketches of buckets with holes drilled in the bottom to make a mash tun came alive in real life pictures and utubes and it made a lot more sense ;)
I did make one standard kit before going AG.... ;)

A massive 3 months (don't think I will count the 80s efforts with Woolies kits, can't remember any being drinkable).
A few kits in until I saw the AG threads. Two small AGs under my belt and it's all I want to make now.
Wouldn't have even known about all grain let, alone had the confidence to try it without the forum. A real eye opener.
Thanks everyone for all the help.:thumb:

I started with wine when I was 14 and I'm 62 now. Over the years I've done loads of country wines and beer kits but 2 years ago started AG beer brewing. Loving it.

I tried brewing kits about 25 years ago without success, so gave up. I started again with a couple of kits 13 months ago and then jumped straight in to AG brewing last May. Most of what I know has come from this forum, which I joined just over a year ago. Its a great resource.

Jas

Started brewing in July 2015 (got a starter kit for my birthday), my first brew (Wherry) was ready to drink the day my son was born.

Did another wherry then a German pale kit before I joined here in early 2016. Picked up some all grain kit dirt cheap (boiler, grain bag, chiller and a year old 25kg bag of pilsner malt for £25) in the March and have been doing AG ever since.

Must be about 40 years on & off. Started with those early kits from Geordie & Boots and I thought they were great at the time. As good as most commercial beers in those days. Doesn't say much about '70's/'80's beer. (Choices round here were Whitbread or Shepherd Neame).

I made loads of wine from the Boots book in the '80's, their Elderberry & Runner Bean was a great full-bodied red. :drunk:

Today, I only make beer. All Grain, in a Brewster all-in-one. :smile: (Got kits on the shelf that I can't be asked to make up). :-?

Most of you have been brewing before I was born!!

I started in July 2014 did 3 beer kits and moved on to extract.. did a single extract then AG and never looked back..

Always learning all the time

At the tender age of 47 my wife gave me a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit at Christmas, only recently got round to making it and I'm hooked. I'm now on my second 1 gallon batch (a Continental Saison) and look forward to brewing lots more small all grain batches.
This is after an absence of almost 30 years when previously I made a couple of extract kits from Boots.

Brewed beer and wine in the late 80' early 90's and came back about 9 months ago with a stove top AG kit which was immediately upgraded from a 5 litre to 23.Loving AG brewing but still do an odd kit or partial for experimental purposes.Joined the forum last August and haven't looked back and with all the help brews are continuously improving.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Been brewing since October last year. Did about 8 kits and moved onto all grain with the Grainfather in March. Aged 37 as well.

I probably started brewing too early. About 14-15 I reckon. Goodness knows what my parents were thinking. This would have been about 76-77.
My sister worked at Boots and got me one gallon Tom Caxton starter kits.

From there I moved onto wine. We lived in a rural area so we'd go over the local fields getting elderberries, blackberries etc.
Then I bought a house when I was about 19 and so having next to no money continued homebrewing.
Usually with the wonderful Boots kits.
Packed it all in, in about 1990 when I moved to Australia. Being single and earning plenty of money there was no need to homebrew.
Then one of my mates opened a microbrewery, so even less reason.
Then three years ago I lost my job and decided to start again.
Thank goodness the kits are better than the Boots kits 25 years ago.

Everybody seems to denegrate those old Boots kits, but I remember them as being a huge advance on what came before. They were the first kits I ever came across that had just malted barley and hops as the sole ingredients, and the full 1.8kg as well. everything else seemed to be 1.5kg and with all sorts of cr*p in there as well.
I used to make the Boots stout kits and got on well with them.

Latest posts

Back