How low can an FG go?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maffa

Regular.
Reaction score
As the title says, Just bottled my Evil Dog Double IPA, OG was 1060 FG 1000. I took 3 readings as I'm paranoid I got it wrong, even took a reading from tap water to confirm.

Just amazed really as I added in 2 extra litres to lower the % a bit as the box reckoned it should be 7.2% I managed 44 bottles @ 8% + conditioning.

So, how low can beer go?

I'm very surprised it's gone that low! Anyone else experienced such a low FG with an ale? It can mean infection, but not necessarily, I think. I think tyhis kits get lower than most, I've heard of 1.004. Maybe your hydrometer is a bit out.

Lowest I have ever had is 1004 or 1006 which was actually a cider kit (which I expect would go low)

Ales one of mine went to 1008 with Safale US05 which is pretty good at going low.

I did an Evil Dog kit last year and that finished at 1.010. Lowest I've had has been 1.006 for a Razorback and a Bad Cat Imperial Red.

Had a couple of my ales go down to 1.005 but that was to wild yeast infection so yours might be too. If your ales is so low because of wild yeast it'll be perfectly drinkable just VERY dry.

It tastes fine for a brew going to bottle, 2 hop tea bags went in 24 hours before bottling. As I said, tested the hydrometer in water after and it was spot on 1000, not experienced anything like this before.

Just recently had the youngs american IPA go down to 1.000 sample was a bit warm but temperature adjusted still worked out to 1.002 which is by far the lowest I have ever had. Has tasted fine from what I have sampled so far (2 weeks conditioning in the bottle and no signs of infection). I also checked the hydrometer and seemed to be calibrated fine. Seems to be more common with the American IPA style kits from what I have read on here, the yeast in my youngs kit certainly seemed pretty turbo charged!

I have done Evil Dog a few times and all bar last time they were 1004 last one was 1002. The Bad Cat was 1004 and Youngs American IPA was also 1002 most of my other kits are 1008 to 1014

It must be down to the amount of yeast supplied in the kit, I weighed it out at around 23g which is over double the usual amount. Mind you with the 4.7kg LME that comes with the kit it needs it!

Latest posts

Back