How much do you lose when racking or bottling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
When racking off a DJ or bottling how close to the lees can you get the syphon without starting to pick up detritus? How much liquid would you expect to 'lose' as a result?

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tw@tatalk

Depending on what you were fermenting and how much **** there is at the bottom I've lost up to about 500ml but I think others have lost a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh how I agree with Razor!!

Here's photograph of some "Apple and Plum Jam Wine" where I lost up to 4 litres (40%) of the original brew!

On the other hand, with a nicely compacted trub in a FV of beer, I mostly lose less that one litre (4%) of the brew!

I'm afraid that the question is a "How long is a piece of string?" question. :whistle:

Sorry! :thumb: :thumb:

Apple & Plum Jam.jpg

from the DOJ brewing costs spreadsheet:

FV BOTTLED

20 18.5
18 17
21 19.5
21 19.5
21 18
22 21
21.5 20
21.5 20
21.5 20
22 20.5
22 19
22 20.5
22 20.5
21.5 20
22 20.5
22 20.5
21.5 20
21.5 20
21.5 20
21.5 20
21.5 20
20.5 19
22 19.16
21.5 20.7

As has been said it depends on the recipe.

I found, by accident, that siphoning from my fv still in its trug water bath to the bottling bucket helps alot, like chippy's tilt on the dj, the fv floats up and the beer flows faster than the trub to the near side where i keep my siphon tube.

20160916_124935.jpg

2016-12-10 11.00.44.jpg

I started a thread a while ago about losses here as I was disappointed with the amount I was ending up with in bottles.

I learned 3 things that have made massive difference.

1) Chippy's pre tilting the DJ before starting the syphon, and using a clip to hold the syphon in the orientation you want

2) Popping a hop sock over the end of the syphon sediment trap allows you to get the trap right down onto the trub and minimise pickup

3)Hoddy's video about starting a syphon by pre filling it with no rinse sanitiser.

I also found that the tap on the end of my Wilko syphon leaked a bit, so I pulled it off and put the syphon tube straight onto the bottling stick. Works a lot better now. I bottled a cider on Thursday and got an extra bottle out compared to last time around :)

i lost a LOT of volume with my first blackberry wine, used a cheap muslin bag rather than a proper straining bag and I squeezed the hell out of it rather than letting it drip

Within an hour it had settled 3" of sediment I should have done it again (properly) before leaving to clear :doh:

I tend to lose a he'll of a lot with my ropey technique !

I start my TC's and juice wines are 25L and usually drop 10% along the way between start to bottling 😢

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back