How much sugar for carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm on to my 6th AG, which on this occasion is a change from a English Ale, It's a Wheat Beer.
On all my ales, i've used 100g of sugar per 22l (around 5g per ltr) for the carbonation, which works out great.

However, I want the wheat beer to have a little more fizz, but don't want to create bottle bombs.

How much sugar would you guys recommend. ?

Brewers Friend reckons 3.3-4.5 volumes of CO2. If you go on the lower end it's just over 10g a litre:

image.png

Use the 'Calculators' link towards the top of the page. There is a priming calculator which is really helpful. Make sure you take the temperature of the beer before you prime as it can make a big difference on how much priming sugar is required

Well you're braver than me, I've never went over 2.8 vol with standard bottles. For cloudiness try pouring around 3/4 of the bottle then gently swirl the rest then add to the glass.

Well you're braver than me, I've never went over 2.8 vol with standard bottles. For cloudiness try pouring around 3/4 of the bottle then gently swirl the rest then add to the glass.

I accidentally primed a batch (my third kit) at around 13.5g a litre (long story - my "teaspoon" held nearly 7g and I used just under 1 per 500ml bottle). The ale bottles all handled it fine, but the 750ml commercial lager bottles didn't (2 Singha and a Birra Moretti) and I had a bottle bomb and 2 cracked bottles.

I accidentally primed a batch (my third kit) at around 13.5g a litre (long story - my "teaspoon" held nearly 7g and I used just under 1 per 500ml bottle). The ale bottles all handled it fine, but the 750ml commercial lager bottles didn't (2 Singha and a Birra Moretti) and I had a bottle bomb and 2 cracked bottles.

Yikers that's over 4 vol! Good to know I can safely go a bit higher with my saisons then :)

I thought you were joking but just looked it up - apparently the "Hefe" prefix means "with yeast"......didn't realise that meant it should all be floating round in it throughout....eurgh, no thanks

I thought you were joking but just looked it up - apparently the "Hefe" prefix means "with yeast"......didn't realise that meant it should all be floating round in it throughout....eurgh, no thanks

Yup, you'll like this as well then. In Belgium I was shown how to properly serve a trappist style beer. The beer is poured as normal into a chalice glass, then the bottle dregs are swirled and served in a shot glass to be drank separately. Delicious and nutritious :smile:

Latest posts

Back