How old are you?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
56 me,

and all you yunguns in yer 30's just enjoy it because that is the best your ever going to be.

its down hill all the way

(Cackle cackle cackle)

After reading the scare stories about hip replacements I have to say that my two new knees are an absolute Godsend.

It's always reckoned that people cannot remember pain (which is probably true and a reason why women have more than one child) but I can well remember the stiffness and the discomfort of my old damaged and arthritic knees.

My left knee was done after the repairs (all natural) wore out 46 years after I smashed myself up on a motorbike. Operation on the Wednesday, walking and climbing stairs on the Thursday and discharged on the Friday. No problem.

My right knee was done a year later (it had worn out coping with the shortened left leg for 46 years) and the time frame was a bit different. Operation on the Wednesday morning, out of bed and walking to a chair Wednesday afternoon, climbing stairs on Thursday and sent home on the Friday.

For both knees I was back on my cycle trainer within a month and cycling on the road within six weeks.

Yes! it was a bit painful getting full joint movement and Yes! both knees "clunk" a bit when I walk ...

... but "YES!" the improvement far outweighs any other problems!

My advice to anyone needing a knee or hip replacement is to go for it sooner rather than later. :thumb: :thumb:

A friend of mine had his hip replaced in his thirties having crashed his bike a few years before, if i remember right they didn't set the bone in his leg properly and over the next 10 years he wrecked his hip (wore it out) i seem to remember his saying he was strapped to a wedge in his bed for a few days so he couldn't move, one operation i hope i will never need.

Hip, knee, ankle and elbow replacements have all moved on in the last ten years.

"Yes!" you can still get a bad surgeon fitting a **** prosthetic but on the whole they are competent men and women fitting something that will work and last for many years. (At 73 I sincerely hope that I wear out my new knees because apparently they only last 18 years!)

My surgeon used this American system to ensure that my new knees were accurately fitted.

https://www.depuysynthes.com/hcp/knee/products/qs/TRUMATCH-Personalized-Solutions

From a CT scan the company produces two templates for each knee and the templates will only fit the knee joint for which they were made.

Once the templates are fitted, the surgeon saws off the relevant bits of bone so that the prosthetic knee fits perfectly in all three planes (Up/Down - Side-to-Side - Aligned Straight).

I too hope you never need new joints but if you ever do then I suggest that you take your time, choose your surgeon and hospital carefully ...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1094.aspx

... discuss the treatment and the choice of prosthetic with the surgeon (remember YOU are the patient, YOU will be getting the prosthetic so YOU need to know everything about it).

If the surgeon tries to fob you off you chose the wrong surgeon so get referred to another one and finally, go earlier rather than later.

Why suffer longer than you have to? :thumb: :thumb:

I was at the hospital for 8.00 am down to theatre 10.00 am awake and back to the ward 1.30 pm and out of bed 5.00 pm. A bit of bother with my wound bleeding as it was glued but they sorted it quickly. The scar is virtually invisible now.

Cheers
Clint

In a few weeks I turn 40, wish now the wife had given me more notice of the B/day party she was arranging, could have got a few brews better prepared.

I'm 35.. I prefer making wines and ciders to beers. TBH i am not a big beer drinker and neither is my husband. I dream of going commercial one day but its pie in the sky stuff i'm afraid

joined today born '32:-? but firmly believe age, its all in one's mind set

drinking kit Chardony
just restarted brewing after
long lay off. Doing the Aldi's frozen fruit receipe found in these forums

I thought I would resurrect this Thread because I have moved on another year! (Thank You Lord!) :thumb:

I share my birth date with Albert Einstein and Michael Caine.

Unfortunately, I don't have the intelligence of Albert Einstein, the good looks of Michael Caine or the money of either! :doh:

So, "Dumb, ugly and poor." is my lot in life ...

... but it's nice to still be here and to know that I am not alone! :thumb:

Turned 50 recently.

I find it frustrating. Stuff is starting not to work properly or at all.

Follicular resilience is weakening on an almost daily basis. The bald patch on my crown is advancing on all fronts, and is threatening to meet the receding hairline at the front.

My left ankle is knackered through football-related arthritis (hint - if you knack yourself playing football and the pain lasts more than a few hours and it is difficult to walk.....get an X-ray). Don't walk it off, and play 3 times the next week on a broken ankle.

At work, you are regarded as experienced, even sage-like and reliable, so you're doing more, taking on more responsibility, and generally holding things together.

You're at the age, if you have kids, where their lives, their mistakes and their decisions impact on you in a bigger way than just not doing homework.

Parents are starting to look ancient, and you're starting to see parallels with them. If they're still with you, you are considering their health and eventual passing.....and might be spending a slightly unhealthy amount of time considering your own ageing process.....

Crucially, you've maybe spent 30 years at work, and that feels like a very long time......and yet you have to consider that you are possibly a very long way from retirement.

All told, 50 is pants. But it's currently better than the alternative.

Just try to be happy for the good things in your life...whether it's good health,a repaired body or the people around you. As long as nothing serious happens to those people. ..as for the rest of it...who cares!?

Cheers

Clint

I thought I would resurrect this Thread because I have moved on another year! (Thank You Lord!) :thumb:

Unfortunately, I don't have the intelligence of Albert Einstein, the good looks of Michael Caine or the money of either! :doh:

Lol, how can you share your birth date with 2 people who were born about 50 years apart. I assume you mean birthday, not date of birth.

Im 45 and feel like I sound like an old record.

:lol:

effing 41!

How did that happen? I remember going to the pub when I was 16 then going to raves then going travelling then getting married and all of a sudden I'm old and making beer and thinking it would be good to have a nice freehold brewpub in a village somewhere!

Could have been worse you could have got the intelligence of Michael Caine and the looks of Einstein but as Albert once said it's all relative anyway!

I'm 32, starting to get grumpy and annoyed at the youth of today....................oh god, I'm turning in to my Dad! :doh:

Latest posts

Back