How to avoid NEIPA oxidation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take my chances 😂
One little knock (or something snags on the beer line), and that thing topples over, and either smashes your regulator, or the fall is broken as it yanks your fermenter off the counter and flings it across the room. If you're really unlucky it breaks the stem on the regulator and now you have a 20kg CO2 missile loose in your house.

Temporarily tethering it to a kitchen cupboard door handle is all I'd suggest. When it's in its permanent home it's best attached to a wall somehow.

Right that's it... everyone else speaks their mind so I'm going to!

It would be very nice if people would kindly look at what I'm trying to show them and not what is in the background!

I don't say 'ooh look there's a cornflake on your rug' on your pictures.

Give me a break please and mind your own business.

Had about as much as I'm prepared to take today.

I don't know why I bother.

I'll probably call it a day on here to be fair.

Thank you both.

Been sat crying through my work all day and that pushed me too far.
Steady on, Tess. You're one of the old guard among us and we wouldn't want to lose you. Half of it's throwing ideas in the air and half of the other half's just banter. You know what it's like with ten people around the bar having a discussion- ten different opinions and ten great philosophers becoming more and more convinced they're right.
Right. I'm going to order two pints. If you don't come and get the second one by the time I've finished the first, I'm going to drink it for you.
:beer1:

Now here's a thing.
I've just bottled 30 litres of cider. which, when I put the juice in the fermenter, was a deep golden colour. I aimed for this deliberately by letting the pulp darken between crushing and pressing. Now, the cider is as pale as if I had pressed the pomace immediately. Relevance to this thread? I'm wondering if fermentation itself is a reductive process.
By the way, I used no metabisulphite or campden solution at any stage. Not even for washing the apples.

Now here's a thing.
I've just bottled 30 litres of cider. which, when I put the juice in the fermenter, was a deep golden colour. I aimed for this deliberately by letting the pulp darken between crushing and pressing. Now, the cider is as ale as if I had pressed the pomace immediately. Relevance to this thread? I'm wondering if fermentation itself is a reductive process.
By the way, I used no metabisulphite or campden solution at any stage. Not even for washing the apples.
Yes it is. SO2 is produced as a biproduct of fermentation, hence why some like to dry hop before fermentation is finished.

Yes it is. SO2 is produced as a biproduct of fermentation, hence why some like to dry hop before fermentation is finished.
If that's the case, woud it help to package NEIPAs just before fermentation has finished? After all, we're not looking for a bright beer.

If that's the case, woud it help to package NEIPAs just before fermentation has finished? After all, we're not looking for a bright beer.
Yes. Indeed some do this. Obviously not bottle, otherwise bombs. I've known some transfer to a recently kicked keg for perfect oxygen free-ness.

This is where i'm at as I only have one fv with a tap. A kviek neipa could work. dry hopping at pitching time they could only be in there for 3-4 days if the temps are up, then time to bottle.
Bottle conditioning a NEIPA is really difficult to do without ending up with a high level of oxidation as you will tend to expose the beer to air on the way into the bottle, plus there's air left in the neck of the bottle after capping.

If you want to do this then I'd recommend:
- Bottle straight from the fermenter, don't use a bottling bucket.
- Bottle with crown caps (as most have oxygen scavenging liner)
- Fill high. 1cm or less headspace. The bottle shouldn't be full to the brim though as that can cause the bottle to break.
- Try and get some residual CO2 left in the beer from the fermentation. To do this keep the fermenter well sealed up, and bottle the moment you think the beer is done. This should create a bit of foam when bottling, purging the headspace before capping.

Back