How to Cultivate yeast from a bottle of Westons Old Rosie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate, can't wait to get a 23l batch up and running! :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Because you are encouraging the yeast to grew and not produce alcohol they may undergo different metabolic pathways.

Why then do you advocate completely fermenting out, when I make yeast starters for beer I'm only interested in the lag phase to build up the yeast cells and get them replicating, could you adopt the same practice and end up with a quicker process with the same result?

True but it doesn't take long for it to ferment out a day or so and when you are stepping up you need to get rid of the fermented liquor without the yeast cells in it, to start again.

Checked gravity again, it's at 1.010 now and very clear, has this finished as I'm guessing it won't go down to 1.000?

Just bumping again as I pitched this yeast a week ago now and gravity reading is 1.014. What should this roughly read when finished?

Potentially it will drop all the way to 1.000 but my last one petered out at about 1.005. 1014 still seems a little high try rousing it but if you just leave it it will just slowly drop I would have thought.

Been 3 weeks since I put the cider away, a thin film has formed on top which I'm guessing is the beginning of mlf? Didn't expect anything to start happening this fast!

Also, I want to get another on the go to re-use the same yeast, do I need to do anything to get the yeast started again or just warm to room temperature and pitch? Thanks in advance :thumb:

Sone said:
Been 3 weeks since I put the cider away, a thin film has formed on top which I'm guessing is the beginning of mlf? Didn't expect anything to start happening this fast!

Also, I want to get another on the go to re-use the same yeast, do I need to do anything to get the yeast started again or just warm to room temperature and pitch? Thanks in advance :thumb:

Or a bacteria pellicle as mine seem to be doing. Will it be ok to bottle what's underneath?

Ah unlucky :( Can't help unfortunately but hope you can rescue it :thumb:

Anyone else think this could be the case with mine or help with my questions above please?

[quote="orlando"

Or a bacteria pellicle as mine seem to be doing. Will it be ok to bottle what's underneath?[/quote]

But a MLF fermentation does produce a bacterial pellicle. If it tastes OK then it should be fine. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
[quote="orlando"

Or a bacteria pellicle as mine seem to be doing. Will it be ok to bottle what's underneath?

But a MLF fermentation does produce a bacterial pellicle. If it tastes OK then it should be fine. :thumb:[/quote]

Now that's interesting, I did wonder about malo lactic but couldn't find a description of it. This looks like little plates of fat that you see on a cooling stock, is that it? If it is how long should I leave it before bottling? It tastes fine, in fact it has lost some of the acidity it had and it certainly does not have any vinegar notes.

That is MLF, it forms quite a dry crusty pellicle. If it smells like a farmyard and tastes like one then that is MLF. If you have got MLF then leave it as long as possible in bulk mine takes about 6-12 months before I bottle then invariably leave it another year before drinking. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
That is MLF, it forms quite a dry crusty pellicle. If it smells like a farmyard and tastes like one then that is MLF. If you have got MLF then leave it as long as possible in bulk mine takes about 6-12 months before I bottle then invariably leave it another year before drinking. :thumb:

And would it look like this >

What happens to let me know it is ready? It is currently sitting in 2 x 5 gallon fermentors and I would like to bottle asap as it is in the way of my "proper brewing"?

Mine looks similar just not as far gone so means all is going well I guess :thumb:

Sorry to ask again but what's the best way to re-use the yeast?

I would say so though that is the early stages it gets quite dry and folded like a crusty skin condition :sick: . The real test is the taste, if it is like a farmyard then it is MLF if it is acidic vinegary it is vinegar.

graysalchemy said:
I would say so though that is the early stages it gets quite dry and folded like a crusty skin condition :sick: . The real test is the taste, if it is like a farmyard then it is MLF if it is acidic vinegary it is vinegar.

Extensive tasting last night suggested it was OK, acidity yes but not vinegary, still has an apple taste. One fermenter is at 1.000 the other 1.002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back