i have finally started

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love6060

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls.

i have resently perchased my first home brewery something i have been planning on for many years.
i went with the youngs micro brewery and woodfordes wherry kit that you can find at the home brew store.

i must admit i only brought it on a thursday afternoon and i was delivered to the door friday morning. unfortunatly being a serving sailor in HM'S ROYAL NAVY i was duty on the friday :(

that said i made it home on saturday and studied the box then the instructions :hmm: then went to bed because i was shattered.

i did have a few issues with the brew kit and equipment some stuff that i was unsure of, but god bless google and this website which helped anser my questions.

so kids sent to bed time to start my brew.

1. i sterilized the equipment needed that day bucket, spoon, air trap and bucket lid.

but the instruction were contridictive. on the sheet with the kit it said to fill the bucket completely but on the cleaning and sterilizing power container it said fill with 10ltrs and swerl and soak.
i did the later.

2. warmed up the 2 tins in the brew kit, i did this in 1 pan with boiling water from the kettle. while i had 3.5 ltrs boiling on the stove.

3. pour in the wart followed by boiling water 3.5 ltrs and then topped up with cool tap water to 5 gallons before i stired it up for 10 mins

4. add the yeast cover with lid fill trap with 1/3 of water and set it in place.

5. moved it to were i want it fermenting and wait impationtally like a kid for the air to start bubbling away.

well it has yesturday within 12 hours and now its going like my kids with bubble mixer in there hands (constant) so i am happy with that.

but i can not help but think i missed something like take a hydrometer reading?

i am hoping that this drink will be ready for christmas and if not then new years eve!!! :cheers:

ANDY

appologies for my poor spelling but if i was that good i would not be serving in the navy :rofl:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

You could have taken a hydrometer reading but it's not the end of the world - you just won't know what strength you beer is. The box may well tell you what the expected ABV is, your beer won't be far from that. Seems like you have done everything right :thumb:

Only thing I would mention is the kit instructions are notoriously optimistic with their times. Your beer won't be ready in 5 days, in fact 10-14 days in your fv is more the norm. Make sure you get the same hydrometer reading for 3 days before bottling / kegging (& it should be below 1014)

joe1002 said:
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

You could have taken a hydrometer reading but it's not the end of the world - you just won't know what strength you beer is. The box may well tell you what the expected ABV is, your beer won't be far from that. Seems like you have done everything right :thumb:

Only thing I would mention is the kit instructions are notoriously optimistic with their times. Your beer won't be ready in 5 days, in fact 10-14 days in your fv is more the norm. Make sure you get the same hydrometer reading for 3 days before bottling / kegging (& it should be below 1014)

(In the winging voice of Homer Simpson) 10-14 days, no beer for Christmas, Oooooooh

Thanks for the replys guys! Looking forward to your advise! And hopefully in time give some.

But for now I will pin my ears back and listen!! :hat:

Latest posts

Back