I just had a bottle bomb in my kitchen!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that Cwrw666, that's really reasurred me. My coopers FV which I use as a no chill cube is similiarly browny green stained on the inside. It's about 3 years old and I was wondering just how much longer it can keep going - seems I can get at least another 7 years or so out of it.
You've saved me some cash too as one of the main reasons I wanted the SS brewmaster bucket was to use as my no chill cube (and retire the coopers FV). :hat:

In the past I've found that eventually plastic FVs will crack across the bottom, but maybe this one is made of better quality plastic. Pitting in stainless steel might be more of a problem depending on the nature of your water. We have very very acid water as it comes straight out of a peat bog.:lol:

In the past I've found that eventually plastic FVs will crack across the bottom, but maybe this one is made of better quality plastic. Pitting in stainless steel might be more of a problem depending on the nature of your water. We have very very acid water as it comes straight out of a peat bog.:lol:

The coopers FV's seem to be quite good quality. You know how much complaing Aussies would do if they weren't :lol:

I have no intention of letting bog water come anywhere near my HB kit :lol:

I've got to the bottom of this. Definitely over carbonated! I've had loads of gushers and I bought a spoon scale so i have a more accurate measure for hops and for priming. I measured a spoonful of sugar from my usual "teaspoon" and it weighs 6.5g. By my calculation that's almost 4.5 volumes of CO2, which is the top end of a wheat beer! No wonder my poor Birra Moretti bottle couldn't take the pressure!

I've got to the bottom of this. Definitely over carbonated! I've had loads of gushers and I bought a spoon scale so i have a more accurate measure for hops and for priming. I measured a spoonful of sugar from my usual "teaspoon" and it weighs 6.5g. By my calculation that's almost 4.5 volumes of CO2, which is the top end of a wheat beer! No wonder my poor Birra Moretti bottle couldn't take the pressure!

Thats almost a tablespoon lmao

I use a double ended spoon from a kids medicine bottle. If you level the dextrose with the back of a knife the small end (2.5ml) provides 2g and the larger spoon (5ml) gives 4g. This keeps everything fairly consistent without having to weigh enough out for each bottle.

I use a double ended spoon from a kids medicine bottle. If you level the dextrose with the back of a knife the small end (2.5ml) provides 2g and the larger spoon (5ml) gives 4g. This keeps everything fairly consistent without having to weigh enough out for each bottle.

+1 here.
used a "Calpol" spoon for years now I have one from a measuring spoon set (smallest size). I find 2g is sufficient.

+1 here.
used a "Calpol" spoon for years now I have one from a measuring spoon set (smallest size). I find 2g is sufficient.

+1 for this too. Small end slightly heaped per 500ml bottle for bitters, very heaped for fizzier styles

Now now play nicely everyone.

To point out what I see as two valid sides of the same argument.

An official 'teaspoon' is 5ml.

But many actual teaspoons might be shallow or deep or just bigger and therefore contain a gram or so more of sugar. Certainly enough to impact the desired carbonation level.

See, everyone's right, no one's stupid and we can all carb our beer safely.

Just give me the Nobel peace prize now

Ok chaps. I think we've established there's an official teaspoon size of 5g but not everyone may be aware of this so may wonder if different teaspoons hold different amounts

Latest posts

Back