Ideal temperature for long term secondary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmalc

Reaction score
Hi
I've done a forum search and can't find an answer to this specific question. Here's my problem; I started a brew last weekend and, as current temps here are in mid to high 30s (southern Greece) I use my swamp cooler to keep the fermentation temps down. I would normally leave it for about 2/3 weeks before cold crashing in the keg, then carbing. However I now have to leave here for 6 weeks early next week and I can't rely on someone daily checking and replenishing the swamp cooler, and the primary FV won't fit in my keg fridge. So I plan to rack it to the keg, as late as possible, and use the keg as a secondary FV. Then when I return I'll just cold crash the keg as usual. What I am unsure about is what temperature to store the keg at for this purpose; as the beer will only be 8 days old a cold crash is a bit premature, so I was thinking of setting the temps to 15C, the lowest recommended for the yeast (Safale US-05), thus letting the yeast still in suspension do its clearing up thing.

Could someone please check my logic on this, thanks.

I doubt you will need to crash cool after 6 weeks at 15C. You'll most likely return to find your beer in perfect condition. Especially if you apply a top pressure of co2.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I doubt you will need to crash cool after 6 weeks at 15C. You'll most likely return to find your beer in perfect condition. Especially if you apply a top pressure of co2.

Ok, very reassuring, thanks. Re the CO2, yes, I always purge the keg before racking, then purge it 3 more times using the relief valve to vent. I assume in this instance though I don't leave it pressurised, just with a layer of CO2 protecting it?

If you leave it pressurised it'll be carbonated by the time you get back. Around 15 psi at 15c will probably do it.

Latest posts

Back