identifying hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my uncle (the dude) got me a hop rhizome a few weeks ago but the only info in the lable was 'hop plant' i've planted it out and it's started to grow (30cm at present). does any one know how to identify what strain it is? are there any websites where i can find out what it is? or are there any hop growers among you that would know if i posted a picture?

Suggest you try to identify it from the appearance and aroma of the cones in late summer.

i've been trying to post a picture but not sure how i've posted them on a file hosting site and put in the url but with no joy. am i doing the right thing? dose anyone know whats going wrong?

A picture of it in bloom is the only real way.

Also, there is a gerdeners variety called Golden Tassle that is available. It looks lovely with its broad leaves and big cones and is great for shade or growing around a frame. However it doesn't have too much going for it from a brewing perspective.

Hope its ok to resurrect this old thread, but just wondering if anyone has any idea what these hops might be? They are growing around my house and the previous tenants were home brewers....

20130827_101851_zpsd06dc634.jpg

bobsbeer said:
They look nice, but I've no idea what they are. I would brew with them and see how it goes. :thumb:

They are starting to smell nice too.. quite hoppy! Think I will have to give it a go and see! :)

morethanworts said:
Found this link with some pictures by hop variety. Some are very similar, but maybe you can tell if you spend long enough analysing the photos.

ADDED...They don't look disimilar to Golden Tassle in the photo at least to my inexpert eyes...

thanks mate.. they really do look like Golden Tassles.. some sites say they are great for brewing, others that they are useless. Arg!

sounds like you like the aroma...

maybe try a cup of hop tea and see if you like the taste

if you like it.... brew it :thumb:

Brew it and see what it tastes like. I brewed from a golden hop by using it for dry hopping. It was quite resinous but then I did use a shed load! You don't need to dry them, it's not easy to do that.
I bought a first gold from Ebay this year. I'm going to grow a winter barley and malt it. If all goes well I'll have a completely homegrown beer by Christmas 2014!

Duxuk said:
Brew it and see what it tastes like. I brewed from a golden hop by using it for dry hopping. It was quite resinous but then I did use a shed load! You don't need to dry them, it's not easy to do that.
I bought a first gold from Ebay this year. I'm going to grow a winter barley and malt it. If all goes well I'll have a completely homegrown beer by Christmas 2014!

That sounds great!

Think I will throw some in the next batch and see what they turn out like. They are quite bitter just off the vine so hopefully will be ok!
Do you have to worry about wild yeasts etc if dry hopping? Maybe sterilize them first?

nixhaz said:
Duxuk said:

That sounds great!

Think I will throw some in the next batch and see what they turn out like. They are quite bitter just off the vine so hopefully will be ok!
Do you have to worry about wild yeasts etc if dry hopping? Maybe sterilize them first?

All the advice I've seen says no need - so I haven't, in the three times I've done it yet - the hops have some sort of 'antiseptic' properties themselves. In any case, only dry hop after the bulk of primary fermentation is over and there is a decent amount of alcohol in the beer to further protect against infection. The bulk of the yeast also wants to have dropped out so that it doesn't strip out the oils you're trying to get from the hops into the beer.

Obviously sanitise any hop bag or weights that you may put in to contain the hops.

Brilliant, thanks. They aren't quite ready yet but I'll let ya'll know what it turns out like :)

Latest posts

Back