I'll buy this beer for you!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxygenating wort: I have tried one of those paddles in a cordless drill to whirlpool the wort. So I'm sure it has lots of air mixed in. However I don't usually do that and just siphon from kettle to FV. I rarely have issues with the start of fermentation so I guess the yeast is happy enough to It's usually start.

Type of yeast: I've tried a few types and recipes, dry and liquid. Dry is nearly always 11g. I usually give it a head-start on some spray malt a day before brewing. It gets nice and bubbly in the bowl.
It's usually 2-3 days in that the effect of eg not enough aeration will kick in.

Can you remember which batches were not so good, and correlate that with using dry/liquid yeast etc? The most important bit of kit in any brewery is a pen and paper...

If you're looking to get back in the saddle and are brewing American, then I'd start with US-05 or BRY-97 pitched directly onto the wort - there's less to go wrong with dry yeast, it has most of the sterols it needs for division so doesn't really need more oxygen, it's just a lot more forgiving and should allow you to see more clearly what's going on.

Latest posts

Back