I'm a Numpty!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Jeez. You'd think I would know better by now. But, at least I know how to troubleshoot - And maybe a good lesson for new brewers!

Brewed myself a session beer on Saturday. Totally didn't make a starter because I got lucky and managed to fit a brew day in when I didn't think I could. However, I figured since it was such a low ABV ,and the OG was targeted at 1041 and I was bang on that I would be okay.
I have a stainless steel fermenter, so everything clips down to seal up and I can't see any activity within the fermenter.

So Sunday, nothing bubbling....
Monday, go to sniff it, smelling less sweet, but still no bubbling... Got distracted and forgot to check the gravity...
Tuesday morning.... still no bubbling... I have band practise on Tuesday night so don't get a chance after work to check the gravity
Wednesday morning.... no bubbling. -starting to worry about the yeast now - Give the fermenter a good shake at any rate... and take a dried yeast out of fridge to acclimatise.... and go to work
Right, after work still no bubbling... ahhh open up the fermenter - couple of the clips aren't down...... didn't clock in my head.... Nice krausen, feeling better! Check the gravity.......... Definitely moving in the right direction.
Okay! Yay! Put the lid back on, clip everything down... Goodness all of a sudden it's bubbling like crazy!! Sanitiser flying everywhere.... Clocks in my head, 'D'oh, of course... Everything was escaping out the lid edges which wasn't clamped down...

So numpty, of course bubbling is no indication of fermentation!! Always check the gravity (and check the fermenter is sealed!).

I had a similar experience when I didn't quite top up the airlock enough. Looked dead for 3 days. Eventually gingerly opened up the lid and saw a big fluffy krausen and a big puff of CO2. Topped up the airlock and it started bubbling nicely!

I think I need a whole thread of all the things I always manage to screw up.
Recently it was submerging the plug of my boiler into the water going in it. It dried out, eventually. But I had to transfer my sparge water across from my kitchen to my utility room that day.

Today it was 'Why is my fermenter not crashing to 4C? It's in managed mode' - Yeah, it won't do it if it's not actually hooked up to the glycol. :rolleyes:

I have a note in my word doc reminding me to take 2 liters off desired brew length as adding 3-4kg of dme adds around 2 litres to brew volume when dissolved.
Q: So why oh why did I put 19 liters in my fv instead of 17?
A: Because i'm a numpty. (That would also explain why I tipped over my sample measure after I pitched yeast so no OG reading.) Double numpty.

At least I've brewed the same twice before so was able to make a fair stab of OG.

Turns out one needs glycol moving through the fermenter cooling wall as well........ :rolleyes:😈
You can have all the gear and still have no idea........... Well actually, luckily my engineering brain did go through several variables. I am glad I checked the hoses before draining and replacing all the glycol...

Back