I'm guessing my 71b yeast is dead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikes1992

Reaction score
It's been 5 days and there's still no activity. I'm guessing since oxygen got into the 35g packet I have (dated may 2024) the yeast may have oxidized or something... I put the dried yeast straight into the wine. A couple days later I added some to 38°c water and let it hydrate and then added it after 30 minutes and 2 days later still nothing. I just added more but I think I might just have to add the Wilko's yeast I have. It's a Wilko's wine kit I had laying around and was hoping it might be nicer with lalvin 71b as I always find the Wilko's kits to be too acidic when they're finished. Not sure if that's the yeast but 71b is supposed to metabolize 20-40% of the malic acid.

Last edited:
I'm gutted as the fresh lalvin 71b yeast I just ordered probably won't be here soon enough as I'm suspecting if I wait any longer there's a chance the unfermented sugary grape juice may start to spoil.

I'm also guessing it could be a pretty explosive fermentation as I've probably added 10x the yeast I usually would and I've heard that dead yeast can be used as a nutrient.

I threw the Wilko's yeast in this morning and it's started. Hopefully it doesn't have any issues.

Latest posts

Back