I'm running too hot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Regular.
Reaction score
I think I've made a big boo boo.
I didn't realise that my fermenter jacket wasn't set right and is heating to 26c.
I'm making a DIPA using safale us05 which suggests 21-25c. I'm annoyingly 17 days in before realising my mistake.
Thoughts? Have I killed it? Even if the yeast survives, is it likely to create some awful back taste?

I completely forgot that the last thing I was making in that particular fermenter needed to be much warmer.

Yeast can survive temperatures into the mid -to-high 30s. The yeast will be fine.

You may get some more esters from the higher fermentation temperature, but tbh I think that'll actually benefit balance the high hop flavours from a DIPA.

My money's on it tasting pretty good

Yeast can survive temperatures into the mid -to-high 30s. The yeast will be fine.

You may get some more esters from the higher fermentation temperature, but tbh I think that'll actually benefit balance the high hop flavours from a DIPA.

My money's on it tasting pretty good
Thank you. I guess my problem is, I just read the info on the packet and stick to it.
I'm looking forward to this one. I'm a mug for American hoppiness.

The temperature listed in the yeast packets is the ideal temperature, not the limits of what the yeast can handle

Back