Infra Red Thermometer??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveElder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m in the market for a decent thermometer and was wondering if anyone is regularly using an infra red thermometer. There has been some discussion in the past which suggests they’re not too accurate but seeing them all over the news for Covid checks I wondered if they are an option?

Any other recommendations great fully received.

Last edited:
I've used one for years and years, the one I have is OK but not accurate.

There good for taking your temperature, (I should be dead by now...lol)...,also making the dog run around like an idiot, lol. pointing them at the radiator and every other thing that's in your house. fire, kettle, bath, and there great for when you vape to make crazy circles. lol.....as for the correct setting, I bought another digital and I'm not sure which ones are telling the truth, the sticker thermometers that are attached to the keg give different readings, so funny you ask, I was just going to get a good old one that you used to use in chemistry at school.

Saying that it was cheap from CHINA! so, I guess there will be more expensive ones....

yup I have a yellow italian one, not a cheap chinese one and it matched the readings of my thermopen. No need to poke something into the wort/beer to take a temp

Infrared thermometers are very fast but the measuring area is quite large** and it is an average. No use on a stainless steel boiler unless you stick something on that's nor reflective. Shone at a person, they read well below body temp. For £250 you could get a Flir One for your phone. This is an infrared camera and very nice too.

IR thermometers are brilliant for balancing radiators. Some IR 'guns' have a laser beam for aiming but the laser does not do the measuring!

**Most IR guns have the D:S ratio on the label; this is the ratio between the distance and the spot size. Often about 12:1. So, from a foot away, you are measuring a one-inch spot, not just where the laser dot is.

Thanks for the responses.... I have a PID controlling the HLT so it’s really for measuring mash and post boil temps which are both stainless steel... I’m wondering whether upgrading my Brew controller by adding another 2 PIDS for measuring temperature on the mash tun and kettle only may be the best answer... could be an interesting Christmas project!!

I'm interested why it can't measure stainless steel...I have a pressure cooker made from it and it works on that....works on everything....

Cheers

PT100s are very cheap; you could connect to a multimeter. There are tables online converting resistance to temperature. They are extremely accurate and sensitive.

I'm interested why it can't measure stainless steel...I have a pressure cooker made from it and it works on that....works on everything....[/QUOTE

Fill a stainless steel pot with water. Boil it. Measure the outside of the pot with IR thermometer. Does it read 100°C? mine doesn't.

Partly because it's so shiny and partly because S/S has a low emissivity.

Where you need to know the temperature accurately and without question – like mashing in – you can’t beat a glass laboratory standard thermometer. Most digital ones I have had were blatant liars.

It is a strange fact that most people believe digital readouts without question, on the basis that that’s what it says so it must be right. Don’t you believe it!

Where you need to know the temperature accurately and without question – like mashing in – you can’t beat a glass laboratory standard thermometer. Most digital ones I have had were blatant liars.

It is a strange fact that most people believe digital readouts without question, on the basis that that’s what it says so it must be right. Don’t you believe it!
I have a prettty deep mash tub so I’m not sure I could read a glass thermometer whilst it’s in the mash. I would probably have to take it out to read it... would that mean it would lose a couple of degrees??

My thermometer quandary has been unexpectedly solved...

I opened up by old ThermoPro thermometer to see a loose wire. I wrote to ThermoPro to ask them where the wire needed to be soldered as I’d had it for a couple of years and they very kindly sent me a new thermometer... problem solved and great customer service!!

Latest posts

Back