Ingredient Dilema

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croni486

Reaction score
I recently ordered the Paradigm Shift Stout recipe kit from The Malt Millar.

This has a massive grain bill that would not have fitted into my MT so the idea was to split the grains and do double mash, combine the wort into the BV and go from there

Unfortunately the grains where milled together so carrying out a double mash would most likely resulted tow completely different flavours.

I now have one bag of grains with 4.5Kg Maris Otter and 500g Malted flaked oats and a further bag of 2.5Kg Munich Malt, 1.5kg Carafa type 3 and 800g Crystal Malt.

So is there anything I could brew with either of the two bags.

Ive also have about 50g Saaz, 150g Centinal, 50, Challenger, 50g Cascade and 75g EKG in the freezer. A sachet of US05 and a packet of Wyeast 1318.

Any help in a recipe to use these would be appreciated.

The other option would be to buy a bigger MT:lol:

You could possibly do a concentrated wort and dilute it in the FV, provided your MT can take it. Just do a very thick mash. and sparge throughly. This is basically how I brew doing a maxi -Biab

Failing the above bag 1 look to me like a oatmeal pale and bag 2 possibly looks like a brown porter or possibly a brown ale (Chocolate malt is easily subed for carafa 3)

Thanks for the replies, I've already purchased the other ingredients to do the original stout and brewed it last Monday. Currently going like a rocket with an OG of 1.110.

I just don't want these other ingredients to go to waste on some concoctions I've come up with myself as i'm pretty new at this.

Once of the reasons I went for the kits from Malt Millar was it supplied the exact qty. As you can see i have odds & sods in my inventory.

So I have the following:

Hops
120g EKG - 6.8%
210g Centinnial 11.2%
110g Cascade Pellets 8%
20g Cascade Leaf 6.6%
50g Saaz 3.4%
50g Challenger 6.5%

Grains
.9Kg Roasted Barley
.5Kg Maris Otter
.5Kg Munich Malt
.6Kg Crystal Dark
.4Kg Chocolate Malt
.5Kg Carapils
.5Kg Black Barley
1KG Flaked Barley

Combined Malts

Bag one
4.5Kg Maris Otter
500g Malted Flakes

Bag two
2.5Kg Munich Malt
1.5Kg Carafa Type 3
.8Kg Crystal

Bag three
.5Kg Chocolate Malt
.5KG Pale Chocolate Malt
.5Kg Roasted wheat malt
.4Kg Roasted barley

Yeast
US05
Wyeast Londal ale 3- 1318

Hopefully you can make something out of this lot. I have enough to make another batch of the Greg Hughes Milt Stout apart from special B.

All Recipes based on 70% Efficiency
Bag one:

Pretty Simple Cascade Oatmeal Pale Ale:

23L OG 1.048 FG 1.012(75% attenuation) ABV% 4.72

M.Otter 4.5kg
Flaked Oats 500g

Centennial 17g @60min
Cascade Pellets 20 @15min
Cascade Pellets 20@5min
Cascade Pellets 20 @1min

Bag 2

Brown Porter: - What I suggest you do is give this bag a good mix then divide it into four. Then add some pale malt to each quarter to give you four beers. The reason for this is that there is a hell of a lot of specialty malt mixed in with a small amount of munich base malt. According to my porter and stout book far more than the recommended percentages for each of those specialty malts for porters to simply add one lot of base malt

23L OG 1.046 FG 1.012 (75% Attenuation) ABV% 4.52%

Pale Malt 3.7kg
Carafa III 375g
Crystal 200g
Munich 625g

EKG 29g @60min
EKG 20g@10min

I notice you have a third bag of mixed grains. I'll have look at that tomorrow :thumb:

Thanks for these, I thought the first bag wasn't going to be too much of an issue trying to find something. The other two I had no idea what to do with.

I just have to wait a few weeks for the stout currently fermenting to finish.

Back