Inline water filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a berkey water filter in the kitchen for drinking/cooking water (fantastic filters, expensive to buy but last years). As I have replaced the filters a couple of times I now use the old filters inside a 30L plastic fermenter bucket with holes drilled in the base, sitting ontop my 30L digiboil sparge heater. The filters still work but are a lot slower than when new but with 4 filters they will do the 30L bucket overnight. I normally use around 60-80L water per brew so start filtering the day before.

The filters now cost around £160 for 2 but if you used new ones I would think you could filter a 30L bucket in around 2-3 hours

Ive had the filtered water analysed and just use this in brewfather to adjust mineral profile.

I’m a big fan of HR. If you’ve used a water filter jug successfully why not design a process to facilitate it’s use. As I understand it RO filters are slow and a batch of water needs to be prepared well in advance of a brew day. The main challenge with using a water filter jug is controlling the water flow into the filter, a simple float switch will do that, a frame to hold the water filter housing over your HLT and another float switch to turn it all off when the required volume of filtered water is in the HLT. This assumes one filter can process the volume of water you require.
This is what I had in mind, glad someone else thought of the same thing.

As for whether or not a filter can achieve the volume of water required, Brita have a system that can process mains water and each cartridge lasts 34hL. As my brews won't be using more than 35-40L at a time, this gives me between 83 and 92 batched. Even if I brewed every week (I won't) this gives me nearly two years. At nearly £90, I think that'll be worth it! I won't use it for everything, I intend to have a sink for washing things having mains plumbed in, but I'll T off for this filter.

Admittedly, the £90 is just for the filter. I'd have to get a compatible tap but that'd be a one off.

I have a berkey water filter in the kitchen for drinking/cooking water (fantastic filters, expensive to buy but last years). As I have replaced the filters a couple of times I now use the old filters inside a 30L plastic fermenter bucket with holes drilled in the base, sitting ontop my 30L digiboil sparge heater. The filters still work but are a lot slower than when new but with 4 filters they will do the 30L bucket overnight. I normally use around 60-80L water per brew so start filtering the day before.

The filters now cost around £160 for 2 but if you used new ones I would think you could filter a 30L bucket in around 2-3 hours

Ive had the filtered water analysed and just use this in brewfather to adjust mineral profile.
Ah interesting, I'll look into that thank you. Yes, I'm planning on getting the filtered water analysed too. My mains supplier has a pretty useless water report, frankly. Nothing on what disinfectant they use, carbonates, alkalinity, let alone mineral profile.

Ah interesting, I'll look into that thank you. Yes, I'm planning on getting the filtered water analysed too. My mains supplier has a pretty useless water report, frankly. Nothing on what disinfectant they use, carbonates, alkalinity, let alone mineral profile.
Have you tried contacting your water supplier to ask? The Water Scientist at my provider has been really helpful.

Then you can either get a Murphys report done every year, or test some of the values yourself with Salifert kits.

Have you tried contacting your water supplier to ask? The Water Scientist at my provider has been really helpful.

Then you can either get a Murphys report done every year, or test some of the values yourself with Salifert kits.
Yes, I contacted the water supplier for the report in the first place. I replied asking for more detail. They said there was no further information, unfortunately. My landlady says they are very difficult and the owner is, in the words of her husband, a bit of a see you next Tuesday.

When we had the kitchen refitted some years ago I went for a Franke Triflow tap: hot, cold, and cold filtered via a cartridge under the sink, much like the filter jugs. This is their latest product
https://www.franke.com/gb/en/home-s...ps/product-detail-page.html/120.0615.357.html

You can use various filter cartridges, I always go for the best one I can find, it says it removes many thing including chlorine and that's what I've used for brewing.

Latest posts

Back