interesting and beneficial brewing tie in

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mason

Reaction score
Prior to starting this year i'd been considering brewing for ages.

Well I wish I'd started sooner. My partner and I breed reptiles and other exotics. Thanks to the ambient temperature in our reptile room being a steady 23 degrees I find the environment perfect for brewing.
Fingers crossed I have yet to have a brew start slowly, stall or take a silly amount of time to finish.

It's certainly an unusual combination of things to use your spare bedrooms for but it seems to he working perfectly. Three fermentation buckets have made a perfect addition to our snakeroom, and a couple of hundred bottles of beer have made a welcome addition to our garage!
Happy brewing.

Mason

You might get better results at a slightly lower fermentation temp... i.e.18-19 degC. Graysalcemey is bound to reply soon banging on about fusel alcohols which apparently come into play about the temp of your snake room.

Any chance your snakes could handle it a bit cooler for the sake of your beer?

Having re checked its 20.5-21deg. With a slight drop at night. Each snake individually heated correctly, this is just an ambient temp as a result of multiple racking systems in the room being heated.

No issues at all yet, anything I should be watching for or checking? Certainly no flavour issues. Or ill effects from drinking (bar the usual obviously)
Interested to hear more, seems a marriage made in heaven so far.

jonnymorris said:
You might get better results at a slightly lower fermentation temp... i.e.18-19 degC. Graysalcemey is bound to reply soon banging on about fusel alcohols which apparently come into play about the temp of your snake room.

No I have left it to you

As a newbie I'm very much here to learn. So far smell and taste are good at all stages.

Should I be worried?

The actual temp of the wort is usually different to the ambient temp. It is in the initial reproductive stages of yeast that fusel alcohols are produced. It is something to bare in mind not to allow it to get above 21c and also be aware that fermentation is exothermic as well.

:thumb:

Will have a google re fusel and will get the temp guns on the FV and on the wort.

Thanks for the advise.

Fusel production is very much yeast strain dependant, and I would not expect any significant amounts to be produced at 25C or less . . . . Indeed I know several award winning breweries that ferment with SO4 at 27C with no fusel production at all . . . despite the 'Funky' nature of this yeast at higher temps.

But is that not dependent on pitching large volumes of yeast so as you don't have much of the initial growth stage of the yeast thus reducing the fusel production?

Fusel production is pretty much restricted to high temperatures

Esters and Ketones tend to be produced by stressing yeast caused by under pitching.

One thing I learned on my 'Nursing' courses for St John Ambulance was

The right amount, of the right drug, to the right patient, at the right time!

Which translates to the following in brewing

• [*]The right amount[/*:m:3p2nnu4c]
    [*] of the right strain[/*:m:3p2nnu4c]
    [*] at the right temperature[/*:m:3p2nnu4c]
    [*]for the right time
    [/*:m:3p2nnu4c]

Yeast provides 70-80% of the flavour compounds in beer, it makes logical sense to treat them properly to make the best beer possible.

Drinking my latest bitter which I thought I was happy with I realised it was not as fruity as it normally is when I brew it which I have put down to using a lower temp to ferment. I did this because I had a bitter which was full of very very solventy flavours after neglecting a brew in the initial stages and allowing temp to rise to 26c. That one got chucked. Anyway got some new temp controllers now courtesy of our forum sponsors :thumb: :thumb:

The Vivarium Brewery :wha: gotta be no end of names for brews you can come up with :lol:

Wouldn't call round and ask for a snakebite though :nono:

graysalchemy said:
jonnymorris said:

No I have left it to you
Only joking. No offense intended.

I do exactly the same as i keep reptiles also, the cupboard that i use sits at between 18 to 22 degrees. Never had a bad brew yet.

Latest posts

Back