is 7 days too long to dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only done 5 days, but am dry hopping for 7 for the first time on Sunday :-) i'm just going to chuck 200g of pellets in and see what happens. I know 5 days is fine.

It depends on the temperature, though I've done a 14 day dry hop at 18C and the beer was great.

You wont gain any thing by doing long hop soaks 7 days is ok but longer is not nesesary. Its like tea you steep to get the best then throw it away. I have just done a three day steep , i normally do 5 days max. others might do longer but the hops start to break down and the beer can get very cloudy. i dont think it does any thing for the flavor to leave them to long, Its that fresh hoppy zing your after not a stewed hop taste

steady 280g dry hop. as you do

20170526_182552.jpg

7 has been fine with me that's my normal dry hop time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I never go above 50 gram when dry hopping, I may go back and give it another boost with more hops,maybe a different hop but never more than 50 gram initially and find that amount sufficient to raise the beer profile

I never go above 50 gram when dry hopping, I may go back and give it another boost with more hops,maybe a different hop but never more than 50 gram initially and find that amount sufficient to raise the beer profile

I could of wrote that my self :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I now just chuck them in no steep no tea no nets or strainers to let them have more interaction with the beer

So do I i then rack into the bottling bucket through a butter Muslin, carb and bottle, trap that flavour and aroma, carb for 2 weeks condition for 10 weeks and drink perfect beer

My experience is that some hops give much more than others for the same dry hop weight. So it pays to know your hop before you dump loads in, which isn't always possible if it's the first time you use a particular hop.
Anyway for me 50g cascade is just about right, and 50g EKG probably not enough. On the other hand I dry hopped with 50g of Admiral once and it was way way too much.

Back