Is anyone making yeast slopes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just pulled the trigger on all the kit I need to set up my home yeast lab. My plan is to start making yeast slopes and plates so I can identify pure strains and store yeast for a long time if necessary without degradation. I'd like to have 4-5 yeasts that I can keep healthy and have ready to use, even if I'm only using one or two for a while. It should also allow me to harvest yeast from bottle dregs in a much more reliable way.

So I just wanted to find out if anyone else is making yeast slopes or plates and if you had any tips?

I know obviously working in a sanitary way is of prime importance when you are working with very small cell numbers.

One thing I'm not investing in at the moment is a pressure cooker/autoclave, although I might do if it proves necessary. I'm still going to boil the wort and steam the vials but I'd prefer not to go down the pressure cooker root if I can avoid it.

I know that you need to boil the growth medium at higher temperatures to sterilize and kill things like yeast and bacterial spores but I'm initially going to leave the uninoculated slopes out at room temp for a week to see if anything grows. If they are clear after that time, then it is a good indication that they are safe to use.

Any thoughts welcome.

My advice is "Spend nothing!" until you are sure that this is what you wish to do.

For "Autoclave" read "Wife's Pressure Cooker" or "Boot Sale Pressure Cooker" and ditto for "Steamer".

My one and only attempt at recovering a yeast from a commercial brew was only last week and it didn't go as expected.

I took the bottoms from a bottle of Chimay and attempted to culture it in a straight sugar solution. After three days it had only just started to produce any extra yeast and I abandoned the project for the time being.

However, I did acquire some Malt Extract from Holland & Barret yesterday so I will re-start the experiment later in the year.

Good luck with your own efforts and please keep us posted, especially with regard to growing yeasts from commercial bottles.

The photo is of the bottles I brought back from France in May this year for the specific purpose of recovering some of the yeast and using it in a brew. I will bring back a few more in November!

Imports for Yeast.jpg

My advice is "Spend nothing!" until you are sure that this is what you wish to do.

For "Autoclave" read "Wife's Pressure Cooker" or "Boot Sale Pressure Cooker" and ditto for "Steamer".

My one and only attempt at recovering a yeast from a commercial brew was only last week and it didn't go as expected.

I took the bottoms from a bottle of Chimay and attempted to culture it in a straight sugar solution. After three days it had only just started to produce any extra yeast and I abandoned the project for the time being.

However, I did acquire some Malt Extract from Holland & Barret yesterday so I will re-start the experiment later in the year.

Good luck with your own efforts and please keep us posted, especially with regard to growing yeasts from commercial bottles.

The photo is of the bottles I brought back from France in May this year for the specific purpose of recovering some of the yeast and using it in a brew. I will bring back a few more in November!

I've had reasonable success culturing yeast from bottles. I've successfully grown Fullers, Young's and Duvel from bottles.

I know you can use a pressure cooker but I don't really have space for another large pan at the moment. Brewing equipment takes up enough space.

If I can't successfully serialise the vials then I will have to find space.

Bit off topic, but what's that with the large sediment in the right of the picture, Dutto?

That's Apple & Plum Jam Wine after fermenting for three months and having had two doses of finings. From 9 litres in two DJ's I managed to bottle only 4 litres of wine back in May.

It is now a beautiful "jammy" tasting wine that I can never repeat! :doh:

Back