Is it a bad idea to transport a Corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofty83

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I will be going on holiday for a week in the summer and was just wondering about how practicable it would be to transport a Corny, rather than filling all the bottles. By the time we get to the end of the week, I guess all the remaining bottles would be flat from bottling direct from the keg.

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Cheers,
Cr0fty

Cheers Malice. I'll be very careful plus keeping it upright through transit.

I was planning on doing this which would reduce the amount of sediment anyway and give more of a consistent taste

1- FV1 until stable SG (plus another 2-3days @ 20*C)
2- FV2 for approx 1 week (cool)
3- back to FV1 (sterilised) with batch priming (4-5g per lt)
4- Syphon straight into corny once primed and store for 1 week (21*C)
5- Store in cool / dark place for approx 1 month

Yes. I have copied and pasted this method from another thread :p

There will be sediment kicked up. It might be worth adding some finings to help the beer settle out once disturbed. Add them when kegging. Isinglass are the popular one for this task.

If you were force carbonating then there would be no problem as any sediment would be minimal or none if filtered.

D

Agree with Darcey - I wouldn't prime it in the corny - I would force carb it to minimise sediment.

If you have more cornies you could also transfer bright beer from one to the other all under CO2.. this would save you moving it about so much from FV to FV at the start. No matter how clear I think my beer is going in I always have some yeast at the bottom...

shortened method...

keg as usual into corny 1
connect gas to corny 1
leave until ready - run off a pint ( or more ) to ensure beer is clear
purge empty corny 2 with co2 and take off lid
connect two 'out' disconnects to a short length of beer line ( you can also purge this from the corny of CO2 before you removed the lid )
connect this to the out post of both - this will start clear beer flowing into corny 2
when corny 2 is nearly full disconnect ( stop a bit early so no yeast comes over with the last pint )
put lid on
gas up corny 2

you can then move at will with no sediment to disturb :thumb:

I assume you also have a charger or similar to have CO2 with you

Don't have the charger yet. My theory is if I don't have it then I can't drink the beer until I get it. The longer I leave it the better it'll be :-)

It's just struck me. I wouldn't be able to force carbonate without the charger and C02 tank would I

If your priming the cornie keg you do run the risk of it not acutally keeping its pressure. My kegs need a little back ground pressure just to seal properly. Once sealed they will hold pressure at 1psi as the orings have all be forced into place but usually need a good blast to get a firm seal. I do have alot of bashed up kegs tho and the lids are all mixed up! D

crofty83 said:

I was planning on doing this which would reduce the amount of sediment anyway and give more of a consistent taste

Every time you transfer beer your running the risk of infection and oxidisation. A far better plan would be...

2- Move FV1 to somewhere cool for approx 1 week
3- lose this step completely
4- Syphon straight into corny (add priming sugar diluted in a little boiled water into corny if really have to, but gas carbonating should be enough) store 20C for 1 week only if sugar is used.
5- Store in cool place for a month or more as needed to condition

:cheers:

StrangeBrew said:
crofty83 said:

Every time you transfer beer your running the risk of infection and oxidisation. A far better plan would be...

2- Move FV1 to somewhere cool for approx 1 week
3- lose this step completely
4- Syphon straight into corny (add priming sugar diluted in a little boiled water into corny if really have to, but gas carbonating should be enough) store 20C for 1 week only if sugar is used.
5- Store in cool place for a month or more as needed to condition

That does make more sense.

I'm confused now though. Should I be priming the corny with sugar or force carbonating it? Or is it just personal preference?

crofty83 said:
That does make more sense.

I'm confused now though. Should I be priming the corny with sugar or force carbonating it? Or is it just personal preference?

Prime for plastic kegs ... Gas carbonate for corny...

I never prime Cornies. There no point IMO. Just creates more sediment. If I'm moving a keg I just pull a few pints off first to clear the sediment! Usually works a treat!

So force carbonation is the preferred option I'm taking from this then. I shall have to read up on this new technique. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Latest posts

Back