Is the Homebrew hobby in decline?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you can put those members you dont like on an ignore list -
if you dont answer me i will assume i am on it :laugh8:
Just realised where you are from. A chippy tea in that neck of the woods used to be a visit to an old public Toilet!!!
If you live near Greenodd you will know what that means 😄

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realised where you are from. A chippy tea in that neck of the woods used to be a visit to an old public Toilet!!!
If you live near Greenodd you will know what that means 😄

I wouldn't ask for pees in there :D

For those that haven't a clue what we are on about this used to be the public toilets at Greenodd.

1711041072802.png

I was gutted when I discovered that!

Was that when you discovered i had become Admin?

I have a feeling from previous posts i already know the answer believe me i wont lose sleep over your latest revelation, you could always skip what i post it has the same effect. ;)

Last edited:
I must admit I'm with Groucho Marks here. "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."!

I think I have been put off in the past, I joined a diving club back in the day and they ended up just being a social club. They cared more about the annual ball than actually doing anything to do with diving.

That's why I like forums. you can always find advice, Usually good :laugh8:

LAB has an online meeting once a month that is pretty hardcore brewing nerdery. We started meeting online during covid and then found it was a good way to keep members involved as they were less able to attend meetings in person.

Everyone is welcome to join and there’s no obligations.

Can you share the contact details? Is it a zoom? Etc

It's a zoom. Normally the online meetings are on the 3rd Monday of the month, although for various reasons I think we will have to push April's back to Monday 22nd April.

If you want to join then either email [email protected] or direct message me saying why you're interested and we'll send you the Zoom link and password.

We normally have a talk or discussion on a subject, but there's loads of time for asking any questions you want. Attendance to a meeting grants you lifetime membership to London Amateur Brewers. :D

Bin there on the way to a bike rally just outside Ulverston when that mon was shooting people, if i remember right they got him in the next village to were we were camping

We were at work when it all kicked off it was all over the news they were telling people to lock themselves inside as he travelled quite a distance on his killing spree.

The Cumbria shootings were a shooting spree that occurred on 2 June 2010 when a lone gunman, taxi driver Derrick Bird, killed twelve people and injured eleven others in Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. Wikipedia

We were camping at a village pub i can't for the life of me remember the name, there was no mobile signal at just a very small village and lots of sheep :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8: we had a prize for the farthest traveled a couple from Canada won it second was a Hungarian couple third a guy from Sweden

Certainly a lot more options for great beer now, even in the supermarkets in the UK. In the US, breweries are everywhere. Some do better than others, of course!

Trends in craft brewing include alcohol free options, less/no carbonation (interesting!), and in the US where it's becoming more and more legalised, - THC beverages.

Homebrewing is a predominately white male hobby , white male industry. I spend my life as (an engineer) a STEM ambassador trying to get females into STEM jobs. Probably needs a targeted approach.

Brulosophy breaks this down a bit more into demographics (well for people who actually can be arsed to fill out surveys) and they too had a decline in filling out the survey in 2023.
https://brulosophy.com/2023/06/30/2023-general-homebrewer-survey-results/

I imagine at the moment too, the cost of ingredients, equipment, electricity, not having enough space or own home are putting people off (I mean, if you live with your parents, you probably have to fight for a space to leave stuff fermenting!) And maybe people see all the lovely shiny equipment (and the cost) - all in one systems, glycol chillers, big fermentation chambers, etc, that have helped all of us, and are totally intimidated, not realising you can make great beer from kits and simple kit.

Back to the original question, I think it's in decline, but only from the artificial boom created by lockdown. I've been brewing for years, but I find my time for ALL of my hobbies has declined since the gradual return to full (well part time, in my case...) work.
Well, that and the fact that I now own a property in Spain.
So while I've got AIO kit in both places (Brewzilla V3 in UK and Brewster Beacon in Spain), I'm finding that I'm "just" knocking up kits for quick consumption, so my AG brewing has taken a hit, but I'm still "at it", so to speak!

Back