ispindle Problem.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Baron, I am stupid but I`m kind of "Old School" you know the type, when you buy something, you expect it to work? Or am I just being pedantic again?
No Rotation I agree with you that things should work but these are not mass produced items from major manufacturers. Unfortunately since pressure fermenting has taken a rise in popularity it has put extra pressure on the seals and that is making more leak than should.
If used as meant i.e standard fermentation they are usually ok.
Ps I bought mine from Gingerneil and it has been fine athumb..

I am currently aiming to build one diy but am unable to get the pet container in south Africa so I am going a mongrel way and hence purchased a couple of rapt pill housings, they look far better concerning the sealing capabilities with 2 oil seals and looks big enough to fit the ispindel. I already have a rapt pill and have used it successfully under pressure, great battery life but am curious of this device and have all the parts to make one (have it working on a breadboard), just waiting for the boards to arrive from China.

It may just fit a genuine unit, I don't know

The rapt tube doesn't fit the ispindel board - at least not the cherryphilip design. It's possible to use the rapt tube, but it needs a customised ispindel pcb.

The rapt tube doesn't fit the ispindel board - at least not the cherryphilip design. It's possible to use the rapt tube, but it needs a customised ispindel pcb.
did to know that someone has tried this, the boards I have ordered are not cherry Phillips so I will have to see when they arrive, probably have to modify them a bit, most of the board is taken up by the battery so it should be possible.

did to know that someone has tried this, the boards I have ordered are not cherry Phillips so I will have to see when they arrive, probably have to modify them a bit, most of the board is taken up by the battery so it should be possible.
Assume the Jeffrey 2.0?
I have see the ispindel in a rapt pill housing, but it took a custom re-designed pcb. Good luck, but it's not just a case of sanding down another pcb design.

R.I.P. ispindle.

It is with deep regret that I have to tell you my ispindle passed away during the night. SG now reads 0.941 and Temp reads -0.6.

The weirdest thing is its still transmitting? Is it really dead?, Could it be a Zombie ispindle? I must keep an eye on my brew level from now on.........don`t want the zombie ispindle drinking my brew!

R.I.P. ispindle.

It is with deep regret that I have to tell you my ispindle passed away during the night. SG now reads 0.941 and Temp reads -0.6.

The weirdest thing is its still transmitting? Is it really dead?, Could it be a Zombie ispindle? I must keep an eye on my brew level from now on.........don`t want the zombie ispindle drinking my brew!
The temperature sensor and accelerometer are at the bottom (possibly swimming in wort). The control board and WiFi are possibly higher up, with their necks just above water. I think 🤷‍♂️

R.I.P. ispindle.

It's pretty surprising that it's still sending data! The temp sensor is right at the bottom and liquid usually shorts the pins as they're quite close together. Without the temp sensor, the ispindel won't wake up enough to transmit.

It's pretty surprising that it's still sending data! The temp sensor is right at the bottom and liquid usually shorts the pins as they're quite close together. Without the temp sensor, the ispindel won't wake up enough to transmit.
So I am the only person in the world that owns a zombie ispindle. mmmmmmmm........... do zombies drink beer?

Assume you'll send it back for a replacement or refund? Be interested to hear how you get on when you report the failure..
Oh yea of little faith. The zombie ispindle has passed on completely now with the last transmission 6hrs ago. Its still floating? and doing whatever its doing and I am contemplating doing an autopsy on the beast when I fish it out of my FV.

I may however go rogue and throw my new bright pink one and the purple one with blue dots on (when I receive them) in the mix when I dry hop the brew?

Who knows what life holds in store for them.............

Life is really strange sometimes and after several glasses of IPA last night I suddenly wondered how the hell we managed as humans to get so far?

I`ve watched Robin Hood and Fryer Tuck was well known for his brewing and drinking capabilities. Now what I want to know is where in the hell did Fryer Tuck get a thermometer and hydrometer from in the middle of Sherwood Forest? Never the less he apparently brewed some fine ales?

Now here we are discussing WiFi hydrometers and dead zombie hydrometers and struggling to produce quality ales. With all the technology and advanced methodology we have today, which I`m sure Fryer Tuck must have used when brewing? I do sometimes wonder how do breweries produce thousands of gallons of beer per week with consistent quality and I`m struggling with 23ltrs of bitter and a drowning ispindle?

Sorry rant over however I`ve realised the problem............. GLOBAL WARMING!

On the switch scenario there are a couple of options. Override it so that it's always on. Remove the battery or just let it go flat and charge before use.
Fit a reed switch instead and have this always on type. Then when removed from a brew place magnet by it to turn it off. I have fitted a reed switch on a few of mine across the reset pins. This allows me to trigger the direct comm
R.I.P. ispindle.

If you have a very strong magnet, as from a hard drive you can pull the ispindel slightly out of the water and stop it sinking further.

When you open the ispindel, remove battery.
Wash in warm water, then dry with hairdryer and neat alcohol if you have it.
Recharge battery separately if you can. If not try it in the unit. You may well find it has survived.

Latest posts

Back