I've made a massive boo boo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes. Sorry. The title reads like a click bait web site saying 'You won't believe what happened next' or 'This is some D List celebrity, this is what they look like now'.

Anyway, I digress.

Yesterday I brewed an Old Thumper clone using Maris Otter as the base malt..... except I found this this morning....

20230312_104102.jpg

So that means I've actually brewed an ale using 5 kg of lager malt, which was destined for a Leffe Radieuse clone.

I'm not too worried and I know it will still make beer, but is there anything I need to be concerned about?

I'm thinking off flavours that might present in fermenting at ale temps etc.

Still looking forward to drinking it.

Cheers.

Not off flavours but the colour may be quite pale and the maltiness may be turned down a bit.

Conversely, your lager will be darker and maltier than intended.

If these beers are for you there’s really nothing to worry about if you can live with the above. If they are intended for national competitions you may be unlucky and push the beer out of style marginally.

If I were you, I'd order some more pilsner malt for the Leffe clone and use the MO further on down the road. It'll keep for years in that bag. I shouldn't worry about the OT, as long as the other factors are in place, you probably won't notice the difference with the crystal and chocolate in there. I'm pretty sure that Ringwood didn't stick just with MO, if at all, and I've drunk more pints of OT than I've had hot dinners.

Last edited:
I very much doubt you'd even detect a difference in colour with anything other than a SMASH.
I use lager malt for everything these days.

If they are intended for national competitions you may be unlucky and push the beer out of style marginally.
I accidentally made a Helles with MO instead of lager malt last year and won the pale lagers category at the LAB comp 😂 . I nearly didn’t enter it because I didn’t think it was very good.

I haven’t even come close to winning anything in any of the competitions I’ve entered since 😂

I accidentally made a Helles with MO instead of lager malt last year and won the pale lagers category at the LAB comp 😂 . I nearly didn’t enter it because I didn’t think it was very good.

I haven’t even come close to winning anything in any of the competitions I’ve entered since 😂
I can see it might actually suit a Helles!

If it were Minch' Hook Head Lager Malt, I'd go along with you. Never known a malt to give such a good extraction.
Yes it is. I get noticeably better efficiency with it than with their ale malt. I've no idea why. My pales come out very pale but that hardly matters.

I was going to say this, MO would make an excellent base malt for those that are not particularly lager drinkers.

Helles, bock, ocktoberfest etc all really need a good dose of MO, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Cover up your 'mistake' by saying it's not a lager/pilsner and call it a Maibock or Kölsch

If it were Minch' Hook Head Lager Malt, I'd go along with you. Never known a malt to give such a good extraction.
I used it for the first time yesterday. No sparge. Set my recipe settings to 70%, which I thought was optimistic. I hit 77%.

That was a witbier as well, so 40% Hook Head lager, 50% flaked wheat and 10% oats!

If I were you, I'd order some more pilsner malt for the Leffe clone and use the MO further on down the road.
Yes - agreed - thanks - this will be my plan - just buy more malt :D
Not off flavours but the colour may be quite pale and the maltiness may be turned down a bit.
Colour looks lovely and @YeastFace agrees ;)

The 'lager' hasn't been brewed yet - so I will just by more when the time comes

Thank you for all of your comments - good to know that all will be ok in the end.

Cheers

If I were you, I'd order some more pilsner malt for the Leffe clone and use the MO further on down the road. It'll keep for years in that bag. I shouldn't worry about the OT, as long as the other factors are in place, you probably won't notice the difference with the crystal and chocolate in there. I'm pretty sure that Ringwood didn't stick just with MO, if at all, and I've drunk more pints of OT than I've had hot dinners.
Hi, I've just ordered a OT clone from Brew Boss, have you brewed it and is it good,? No tweaking recommendations?

Hi, I've just ordered a OT clone from Brew Boss, have you brewed it and is it good,? No tweaking recommendations?
Hi.
I've brewed OT from my own recipes and from talking with the lads down at Ringwood Brewery (RIP). I don't even know who Brew Boss is, but I'm going to have a look.

Latest posts

Back