Japanese Larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a load of pilsner malt i need to use so was thinking of doing a a Jap Larger, question instead of doing a cereal mash can i use the the pre cooked micro wave stuff, i am assuming it is already geletinised,

I think the microwave stuff has added oils to stop sticking, from US forums they seem to just cook dry rice and add to mash rather than a cereal mash. I have a recipe planned (next year at this rate) using flaked rice.

No need to cereal mash rice, just cook it normally and then add the rice and cooking water to the mash. When I say cook it, you should over cook the rice so it’s squishy.

Basmati/jasmine rice is good, but easy cook rice doesn’t break apart as easily.

Pre cooked rices tend to have oil in them, which you don’t really want in your mash.

I’ve used 30% rice in a lager. The rice has a potential of 1.032, which is lower than malted barley, but it ferments further meaning I got 90% apparent attenuation with Novalager yeast.
My fridge is tied up at the moment so i was thinking, us-05 or notty, as i only have the one fridge i would have to exhaust my stock of ale

Disappointing. Given the title I was expecting a Sumo thread.

+1. To boiling the life out of Jasmine or Basmati.

Many of the maltsters do Torrified rice. And there's always the snap, crackle and pop option.

Last edited:
I have used Aldi microwaveable rice many times with no ill effects and cornflakes too sometimes with them.
The only downside is watch out for a stuck mash so add hulls

Latest posts

Back