JonGaarden: The Saga

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I ask where you got that figure of 55 from? I don't see it on the product datasheet PDF linked to earlier in the thread.

Page 11, the table at the top left of the page, bottom right cell of the table.

It’s a slightly strange layout. Looks like they consider DP to be of secondary importance and not worthy of the summary table!

While the grain bill seems to be a bit of a nightmare, there have been multiple queries as to the best yeast.

Just a thought.. but since hoegaarden is bottle conditioned. What about harvesting the yeast from 3-4 bottles of hoegaarden?

I'd get to drink them first too... win-win!

What are your thoughts?

I found a thread on another forum that suggested it is pasteurised and carbonated with a neutral yeast, so I wouldn't do that.

Edit: but by all means drink one or two as you brew, if it doesn't stop your concentration and cause errors that is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thread I looked at was 2015 and suggested a change of approach.

Probably not wort the risk of it turning out rubbish. So I'll look into which yeast to use.

Thanks for the link, but as a newbie I'm not too sure how to read it.

I guess I don't really know what Diast...... power is! I can do some research, but is there an easy way of reading the table on the clear choice pale page?

I've never done this but if you're going to use loads of flaked grains then it's recommended to do a cereal mash with them.

Hi!
@_jon_ I've read through the complete "saga" and have one suggestion - as The King said, "A little less conversation, a little more action".
Get it made, keep copious notes, try it and then, if it doesn't suit, have another go.

Yep, it's almost time to brew. Not going to find time to do it this week unfortunately..but next week I'll be brewing for sure.

Since I won't have time to brew this week, I've been this week I've been tinkering with the recipe.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/588511/jongaarden

What are your thoughts about adding 1kg of Pilsner Malt to this? Because, my efficiency is lately a little poorer than my recipes are written for. So I've lowered the efficiency to 60%, which needs more grain. Then if I hit better efficiency I can liqueur back to the correct gravity and just deal with the extra volume.

What do you think?

Back