Juicy ipa for Braumeister 20L ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bang Road Brewery

Reaction score
Looking for a recipe/all-grain kit for a nice hoppy 'n' juicy NEIPA -type . Been looking at Blackrock kits, but they have pellet hops, which I ain't a fan of . Otherwise they'd have got just the thing. I have 100g of Citra in the freezer, so that's something of a head start, methinks. Leaf hops are SO much easier to clean up from , and I reckon pellets would likely clog the hop spiders, but would welcome your experiences of this , just in case I'm wrong. I have been known to be wrong occasinally, hard to believe, but true all the same.

Previous brews I've done, have all been drinkable, but not what I was shooting for, bar the last one , which whilst not poisoning me was decidedly 'meh' .All the previous , at some point, have had the qualities I've been after at some point, but it seems leving them to rech the expected FG has let them go past their best. I thought about letting a brew go to a reasonable gravity , and flavour and then cold crashing to stop them in their tracks might be the thing . Any thoughts on this? Or am I way off ? And if that was to be the tactic, would my 'Ferment-O-Fridge' be man enough to crash it if turned full up? One of these days I'll get 'er done right and scare meself. Until then , any advice more than welcome.

P.S., any brewers in Tameside/Manchester?

A quick and easy one is
90% Golden promise
10% wheat malt or just 100% GP
Try to get to 1.060 og

If you get another 100g of citra, use 100g in the whirlpool and 100g for dry hop. You can also mix in mosaic or galaxy instead of all citra. I prefer mosaic.

Verdant yeast is an easy one.

Do not cold crash until it's done fermenting. If you want it sweeter adjust your yeast or mash temps or get a higher original gravity. If you don't have a good CO2 capture system I wouldn't recommend cold crashing as you will get a lot of O2 pulled back in from cooling phase. Just let it finish fermenting and then bottle or keg.

That sounds like a plan of sorts. Might go with a 50/50 Citra and something else, Mosaic, Cascade, Galaxy if I can find 'em. Although I rather fancy the Galaxy might be able to give a better account of itself as a sole hope recipe. What about a bit of oat for mouthfeel? The issue I've had , is that despite late additions and good dry-hopping, all the juicy, friuty grapefruitness has not lasted . FWIW I use Hambleton Bard plastic pressure barrels for kegging, the only way out for the lost aroma and hoppiness is with any excess pressure at the safety valve. Not sure if this even happens , anyway.

Can't help wondering how the commercials get their beers to stay as intended almost indefinitely in the bottle/keg. Obviously, fresh is best for these types, but when mine have had any desired taste notes, they've gone after the first couple of pints. I'll get the grains and stuff ordered and prepare to brew. Would the cold crash CO2 pullback harm anything? After all , the beer is carbonated in the PB , usually about 7 psi to serve. I'll get the details of the grain bill you suggest into Beersmith and go from there.
'
THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO BREW, SALUTE YOU' !

Back