Just started my first brew!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_C

Reaction score
Just finished setting up my first brew, a coopers Canadian blonde kit.

Made it with 500g extra light spray malt and 700g dextrose. The smell of the spray malt and dextrose dissolving was awesome, I wanted to drink it then!

Took the initial gravity reading as 1.038 at 24oC whig seems in the right range! Now I need to be patient!

It all seemed pretty simple to do having watched numerous videos online and read many online guides, the most annoying part was the sterilization - it seemed to take ages to soak and rinse everything! Plus my sink is a bit on the small side to negotiate a huge FV around!

I will try and post a few pics and updates over the next couple of weeks as it ferments and gets ready for bottling!

Nice one Rob :thumb: .

Rob_C said:
The smell of the spray malt and dextrose dissolving was awesome, I wanted to drink it then!
I really know where you are coming from there mate. Nothing like tasting the smell is there !!

Welcome to the world of brewing mate.

Don't worry about the steralization side of things, just buy some Videne.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13654&hilit=+videne

Feel like I have the bug now, couldn't help keep going in to check on it this evening, even though I know it will take a while to get started!

Next plan is to get a couple of gallons of WOW started up tomorrow evening.

The Videne sounds like a great idea, I will take a good look into that.

Unfortunatly my tap doesn't have a screw thread to attach a hose, so that option is out.

Mate , lateral thinking - remember those shower attachments for the bath with rubber sockets over the taps ? Or go to the garden center , B&Q ,whatever - they have a hose fitting with a built in jubilee to go onto regular taps . I didnt imagine you DID have a threaded tap , I wouldnt make such an asinine suggestion . Up to you though .

Or look into this new no rinse product , its reasonably priced ....

http://www.brupaks.com/chemipro%20oxi.htm

:thumb:

Recommend getting yourself some Star San which is a no rinse sanitiser.
Really made my brew days much easier. E

I had the same problem sanitizing my Fv so with my bottled i just used by bath and will do the same with my Fv next time. Her in doors wasnt very happy though lol

photostream

Brewing up last night

It's looking good today, a nig head of foam with regular bubbles from the airlock.

Made up 2 gallons of wine today one following the WOW recipe, one using pineapple juice.

Latest posts

Back