Keeping booze whilst ageing in a house with no cellar..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, unsure where exactly to post this, feel free to move it :)

In terms of keeping bottles of beer (or even bottled wine, or wine in demijohns) in this heat? Most things age in cellars, but at the moment nowhere in my house is below 25'c.

What solutions do you guys have? Or you just bite the bullet and leave the brews in this temperature until it lowers?

I'm like you with no cellar. Not much you can do apart from keep them in the shade. I'm afraid that unless you invest in an air conditioner you have to bear with it.

im the same . trying some where to keep my brews, gone for card boxes in my shed out the sun but when i cleared some junk from under the stairs to get the bare concrete slab that sitting about 20c even in this heat. so my Fv are now in there.

I am looking at getting a small(ish) metal shed to go inside my garage which i can insulate and fit an small A/C unit in and a small heater for winter.

Anyone else done this??

No... But I'd love a little temperature controlled shed!

Only place with tiled floors in our house is the conservatory. And that's 50'c in summer, and -10 in winter!

Have a look at the cost of running an A/C unit before you make any decisions - most use around 1.5kW when they are going, which means that running 24/7 it's going to cost around a fiver a day to run...or £150 a month :shock:

You might be better off with two 2nd hand brew fridges set up with STC1000s and greenhouse heaters (a tall larder fridge can hold a surprising amount - I can stack three beer crates in mine no probs).

I have a sort-of-cellar, as in under-floor crawling space: constant 17C down there at moment, which is still a lot better than anywhere else in the house or shed. By the time it's sat on the concrete floor down there, maybe a bit lower effectively.

However, some of my best beer is still in the baking hot shed though, as the 'cellar' is not easy-access. I've been assured that it shouldn't come to much harm. Not good for any beer that was not fully fermented-out, mind!

The best place in my house is in the cupboard under the stairs but it is still a steady 19c in these hot temperatures. The worst place is in the outside shed.

There's only one thing for it... You'll have to drink it all!!

:drink:

Can you not stick them in the bath or large bucket filled with cold water.

Latest posts

Back