Keeping FV warm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hambutty

Reaction score
I have been brewing my beer in the dishwasher for almost a year now. I know it might sound silly but it keeps it out of sight which keeps the wife happy. Anyway, it works OK but one thing I struggle with is maintaining a constant temperature. I am looking for a heating solution that isn't mains fed as I can't get power in to the dishwasher. Does anybody know of a battery operated or rechargeable solution I could try? Temperature seems to be currently running around 17 degrees so doesn't need much more to push it in to the Goldilocks zone.
Thanks

I am not aware of an off the shelve option here.

I know this is not really answering your question but you might need to try a different method. convert a fridge into a fermenting cupboard or using the bucket and fish take heater / heat mat / heat belt. Do you have any space inside or outside you can get power to?

Thanks for the advice. I think that perhaps the fridge conversion option would be best. I've got a corner of the garage I could possibly squeeze it in to. Just thought I'd ask as I haven't seen anything that isn't mains fed.

Do you use the dishwater when it's not full of beer?
We never use the dishwasher. It's a brand new integrated one but we just found it easier to wash up. I took the drawers out, stuck polystyrene sheeting on the internal walls and made a pullout shelf out of some MDF. It works really well apart from trying to keep a constant temperature. At the moment I just wrap the FV in a couple of blankets and hope for the best.

You could just go with whatever temp is in the dishwasher, basically 'brewing with the seasons', Just use a yeast/make a beer style that's appropriate for the temp. I do this. I have a brewbag but dont often use it unless I want to make something special. I just go with whatever temp my brewing corner is and use the appropriate yeast.
17C is actually fine. I often aim for this temp if I use my brewbag, it makes the brew a little cleaner and minimises potential of flavours

It would depend on the style and the yeast as 17c is not always an ideal temperature for every style.

Being able to control temperatures all year round helps give you more flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It would depend on the style and the yeast as 17c is not always an ideal temperature for every style.

Being able to control temperatures all year round helps give you more flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

True. Your not going to ferment a saison at 17c. But for your average ale 17c is fine

For nearly a year I used two old fashioned light bulbs to heat my brewing cabinet.

By mixing and matching two bulbs at 30w, 40w and 60w I could put in place heating of 30w, 40w, 60w, 70w, 80w, 90w, 100w or 120w.

As the saying goes ...

"Where there's a will, there's a way."
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:​

hambutty said:
Thanks for the advice. I think that perhaps the fridge conversion option would be best. I've got a corner of the garage I could possibly squeeze it in to. Just thought I'd ask as I haven't seen anything that isn't mains fed.

No problem, sounds like a good plan. Having a way to control the temperature really helps including doing diacetyl rests and cold crashing as well.

Don't know about the limitations, but one of theses ...

http://www.brewbitz.com/heating-temperature/356-ritchies-heating-tray-for-25l-fermenters.html

... keeps the FV below comfortably fermenting away when the temperature in the garage is down to four degrees celsius. :thumb:

I trap the Inkbird STC 1000 probe between the jacket and the FV and the control is superb.

Exercise Mat2.jpg

Latest posts

Back