kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,i'm on about my 16th ag brew and iv'e always bottled, now a friend asked me to do a brew in a keg, do i fill keg straight from the primary fv or tranfer to a bottling bucket then into keg.

You can put your sugar mixture into the keg to prime and rack directly to keg. No point going via a bottling bucket. Just take care not to hoover up the sediment at the bottom, naturally.

also if its plastic some brews are not at there best in kegs (cornie kegs are fine for all types) such as lagers where a high amount of carbonation is wanted which is not possible with plastic kegs

cheers guys, will rack directly into keg then, sorry for the delay answering been watching the hammers book their place at wembly coyi :party:
johnluc.

If you're kegging for the first time and using a budget keg it's worth remembering this; check the tap tightness (sometimes they are screwed in very loosely) and put a small bit of vaseline on the tap thread where it meets the keg. Put a smear of vaseline on the washer in the lid and on the thread. When doing the lid up i use two fingers to turn it and when it meets resistance give it a very slight further turn, make sure yoiu don't over-tighten it as this will warp the washer meaning the barrel won't hold pressure.
Also if you're planning on having a session with this brew it's worth getting a keg with a co2 valve in the lid so that you can re-gas it
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back