Kettle Upgrade - Klarstein vs SS Brewtech

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty Jack

Reaction score
Hello all. Considering a kettle upgrade for my small batch BIAB setup. Right now it’s all stovetop, roughly 5/6L batches in a stockpot. I’d like to level this up a tad soon, and brew perhaps 10L batches so I’ll need a bigger and better kettle.

I’d also like to move out of the kitchen ideally, maybe brew in the garden. I’d love a grainfather but the budget doesn’t stretch just yet so considering the following two options.

a Klarstein electric boiler, like the Fullhorn.
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...0L-LED-Display-Timer-304-Stainless-Steel.html
Or an SS Brewtech 5.5gal kettle, which id supplement with a gas burner from Malt Miller.
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/ss-brew-kettle-5-5-gallon
Just wondering what’s people’s thoughts. Which would be better? I’m drawn to the SS Kettle because we’ll, it’s SS Brewtech! However the klarstein might be a neater setup, and a smaller footprint. Also can be brought indoors to brew if needs be, not sure the brew kettle would fit on my hob.

cheers all!

Personally I would go with the electric option, having made the switch from stove-top stockpot to a klarstein fullhorn myself about a year ago. It's just so much easier and convenient. Plus if you use too large a kettle on a gas stove you risk incomplete combustion and carbon monoxide.

Last edited:
I would agree that electric is the way to go but that's not to say you should rule out ss brew tech (or similar) . If you're willing to drill a hole for an element (see qmaxx cutters) you'll have a solid kettle which is not only BIAB ready but that (if cared for) will outlive you and a fully replaceable element (in the event that it fries). If the klarstein element burns out you're out for a whole new unit.

Thanks very much for the replies folks!

As you can imagine, all that's been going through my head the last few days is tossing up this decision :laugh8: I'm now even throwing all-in-one systems in to the mix! I'm now thinking potentially a Grainfather, or one of the cheaper systems like a Brewzilla. Then things snowball a bit though, as with a larger batch comes a larger fermenter, more bottles or even kegging!

I essentially don't want to be purchasing something now, that I will only want to replace in 12-18months time. Might as well outlay the cash on the better system now rather than spend twice later. Who knows what i'll do haha.

Thanks very much for the replies folks!

As you can imagine, all that's been going through my head the last few days is tossing up this decision :laugh8: I'm now even throwing all-in-one systems in to the mix! I'm now thinking potentially a Grainfather, or one of the cheaper systems like a Brewzilla. Then things snowball a bit though, as with a larger batch comes a larger fermenter, more bottles or even kegging!

I essentially don't want to be purchasing something now, that I will only want to replace in 12-18months time. Might as well outlay the cash on the better system now rather than spend twice later. Who knows what i'll do haha.
I started on stove top and quickly moved to a Burco boiler which is great and about £90 but have just put a preorder in for a Robobrew V3.1.1 as I want it and it's a birthday present.
I was looking through the Klarstein range but do a little research on the Web before you buy and determine your needs for future reference. I chose the Robobrew as it has a large capability plus versatility for a few quid more as you can spend a small fortune e tweaking and adding on.

I started on stove top and quickly moved to a Burco boiler which is great and about £90 but have just put a preorder in for a Robobrew V3.1.1 as I want it and it's a birthday present.
I was looking through the Klarstein range but do a little research on the Web before you buy and determine your needs for future reference. I chose the Robobrew as it has a large capability plus versatility for a few quid more as you can spend a small fortune e tweaking and adding on.

Thanks Gerry, still torn on my decision but I think I have settled on achoice between a Grainfather and a Brewzilla.

Just unsure on which route to take. The only factor in not going for a GF is the additional £300 price tag. Sure you get a CF chiller for this, and a nicer controller. However if I went for a Brewzilla, that £300 would be well used towards a new fermenter, kegging equipment and a ferm fridge.

Latest posts

Back