Kit & Kilo.....almost

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernaaard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well I tried my Wilko Velvet Stout tonight and it was akin to a can of Guinness Draught which after 3 weeks makes me very happy indeed, as in a couple of weeks when it is due to be presented to the masses, I shall feel very satisfied.

Now I have an uncontrollable bug and will put my Xmas brew on this weekend. As I am still a Noob but happy to add fermentable, I need some help.

What Wilko brew do you recommend for about 12 to 14 quid as the tastiest? Planning a darker ale for Xmas so it will be paired with a brewing enhancer kit, some DSM and some brown sugar to make it a real winter brew?

Suggestions most welcome :D

Mine had Geordie winter warmer and Sweet Newkie brown for twelve quid when I was in there earlier but both have indifferent reviews on here in the review section. I'd go for Woodfordes admirals reserve personally brewed a bit long - £20 quid.
In fairness if you're going to buy a twelve quid tin, 6 quid of DME and some sugar your about a quid away from the price of the woodfordes anyway and it's a great kit by all accounts. That's what I'd do anyhow, but then I'd add half a kilo of muscovado sugar or BKE as well as I prefer a touch higher abv so I'd be in for £21 quid.
It should just be ripe for Christmas if you get down there tomorrow too!

simple sugars like tate n lyle or brewers sugar brew enhancer etc will all ferment virtually fully providing no body or mouthfeel to a beer, the more complex sugar mix found in lme or dme will on the other hand provide simple sugars for the yeast to munch away on but also leave behind residuals that contribute to the malty flavour and mouthfeel of a full bodied beer.

so in short if your brewing without any white sugar additions your brews off to a better start :)

I have heard a lot of people say that the Woodfords Wherry is their go to kit but not seen the admirals reserve. Is that a darker beer cos I tend to favour those a bit more?

Right, so I went for the Georgie Winter Warmer in the end. Managed to get another FV essentially for free and I am going to use half a kilo of medium SM, a pack of BE2 and either some dark brown sugar or a tin of dark treacle. Will let you know how it comes out :)

Treacle?? be careful taste it and make sure your ok with its residual molasses flavour as that wont ferment away..
+1 on that.
I only use 100g of dark muscavado sugar in my Coopers stout recipe for that reason. You can taste it in the beer but it doesn't overwhelm.

Treacle?? be careful taste it and make sure your ok with its residual molasses flavour as that wont ferment away..

Ended up using 500g of dark brown sugar in the end. That with the kilo of BE2 and 500g of medium malt should give it a decent amount of flavour and mouth feel as well I hope.

Went in on Saturday afternoon and there was a healthy Krausen when I checked it on Sunday. Will leave it until next Saturday and check it again. Maybe a second week and then Thursday after that I will take the first reading and see where I am but I'm it started at 1072.

This has been independently confirmed as an excellent brew. No HB twang. Good strength at 6.7 and has now had plenty of time to mature in the bottle.

If it wasn't so cold and I was only brewing lagers ready for the summer, I would have put an identical brew to this on already.

I would post a couple of pics but I don't think I can.

Latest posts

Back