Lager brew happened quicker than I expected + other questions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill_face

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am attempting to brew my first lager following this recipe: German Pils Recipe - Grolsch Clone | Brewgr

Its a Grolsch clone. I used Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Lager Yeast which would seem to be a slow starter, and the recipe said ferment for 14 days. I was getting no airlock activity, as tends to happen with the brew buckets from my local brew shop, but I was smelling some action so thought I'd leave it for a while to do its thing. I went to check hydrometer reading today at 9 days and its reached FG. Its was being kept in a cellar at around 12C. There would appear to be a bit of something still happening as I saw some bubbles in the hydrometer

So I'm wondering about the diacetyl rest and whether I should bother?

Also I was planning on transfering my 2 gallons to two glass demijohns with airlocks to put in a fridge for lagering stage. Is it necessary to stimulate a bit more fermentation to push the air out of the top of the demijohn? I've had problems with cider and a bit of air at the top of storage vessels...

Thanks in advance

I've never had an FG of 1013 with any kind of lager and I'd be inclined to give it another couple of weeks before racking it off onto demijohns. Your recipe looks a lot tastier than the Grolsch I remember.

Hey. Thanks for your response. I double checked the hydrometer, and it reads 1.000 with water so it should be accurate. I have double checked the reading, and if anything its slightly below FG, as it reads 1.008. It smells like beer, and tastes like beer, so I'm inclined to think it is beer.

What is the verdict on airgaps at the top demijohns? I'm inclined to rack off now whilst there appears to be some kind of bubble action to push the air out, put it somewhere warmer for a bit for an attempt at diacetyl rest and then chill it for several weeks before bottling.

In terms of equipment I don't have any pressurising capabilities. I've only been making cider until recently. Just have glass demijohns, brew buckets, an autosiphon and a big stock pot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back