Lager pressure fermentation questions - first time ever

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtoos

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at doing a lager under pressure, however I have a few questions.

The brew will be 55L AG brew using liquid yeast, Whitelabs WLP830 German lager yeast. Ive never done a pressure ferment or used this yeast before.

The questions I have are:
1. The yeast is the white labs pure pitch type. I can't find the number of cells in the pack. How do I calculate a starter if I don't know the cell count?
2. As I am able to ferment under pressure, I believe I can also brew at a higher temperature. Does this higher temperature require a smaller starter, and should I use a typical ale type sized starter?
3. What temperature should I be fermenting at and at what pressure for this yeast?
4. Is a diacetyl rest required? I would say not but Ive never done before.
5. Should I add pressure into the fermenter after yeast pitching so it ferments from the get go with a pressure applied or let it build up on its own? If I let build up naturally, should I start the fermentation temperature off lower?

Thanks very much for any advice..

3 posts and weal hasn't told the OP it's a waste of time, wonders never cease.
I've never bothered to put CO2 in at the start. Doesn't take long for the pressure to build up to your desired level.

Latest posts

Back