Latest All Grain - Zombie Dust Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo1983

Reaction score
So during my Christmas holidays I decided to give another all grain a go. The first 3 were a bit of a learning curve to say the least, but practice makes perfect! :lol:

Anyway decided to try this recipe from a US site -

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=303478

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: English Ale
Yeast Starter: Recommended
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 65
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Tasting Notes: Been brewed multiple times with S-04 and WY1968, both with very favorable results.

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 152 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
0r
Wyeast 1968

Started out pretty well, including reducing the mash temp loss to 1.5 degrees instead of the 10 degrees I had experienced previously by insulating the cool box.

Problem one was when I tried to get the first runnings. Opened the tap and... nothing happened! :doh: Ended up messing around for ages and found the copper filter had come away from the tap altogether, so basically no filter at all and I had to strain the whole lot through a sieve before boiling. Nightmare, and another lesson learnt :whistle:

Problem two, after boiling and getting into the fermentor, I ended up with 17.5 litres, not the 20 odd I was going for.
This meant I missed the target SG of 1065 quite a bit and instead got 1078.

Pitched the S04 and later that day bubbling away happily so all seemed good.

After 3 days no bubbling. I checked it after 5 days and expected it to be totally stuck at like 1040 or something but its got to 1018, which makes this a 7.9% beer! :drunk:

Next time more liquid in the batch sparge should be what is needed!

But, now I am worried its going to taste odd because at that strength it may have needed more hops in the boil?

Anyone had experience of this and do you think it will be ok as it is?, or do you reckon I should do something? More hops for the dry hop perhaps?

Any feedback welcome!

Cheers
Leo

As Clibit says.

My opinion is that it'll be more like a barley wine, which is no bad thing. Adding hops now won't add any bitterness to balance it out.

Depending on the depth of your mash tun you can use Marigold gloves to get your hand in the mash and rescue your copper grain filter. I've done it before - they're quite heat resistant.

Dave

Thanks gents, I thought it would be too late now to add water.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

According to the calculator on that site, adding 3.5 litres would have had my original batch hitting the 1.065 the recipe needed. I might add a couple of litres as I do like a strong beer, but 7.9 is a fair bit more than I wanted for this batch!

Looks like I need to boil for 15 minutes to get rid of excess oxygen in the water first, then cool and add it in.

Good call on the marigolds too, I did have a look in the cupboard for some at the time but didn't have any. I will invest in some for future brews to be on the safe side. Holding my hand under the cold tap before digging around in the mash to find the problem wasn't something I want to do again!

Latest posts

Back