Lunch break idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got bored on my lunch break so just chucked this into my Brew Shop app:

pale malt 2.8kg
vienna 600g
munich 400g
carapils 200g

19 litres wort, 60 min boil

Citra 10g @60
Citra 20g @15
irish moss 1tsp @15
Citra 30g Whirlpool

Expecting 15l after boiling

Safale US-05 (or other American pale ale yeast)

Citra 40g dry hop 7 days

Never used Vienna and Munich in a pale ale before, if I've used them its one or the other. And never done a Citra single hop so tried to put something together to test those two thingys.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Id go with either munich or vienna not both

Id go
2.8kg pale
.4 munich
.2 porridge oats

10g columbus 90 mins
25g citra 15 mins
25g citra whirl pool

As i say to anyone who writes a recipe and asks for feedback. You HAVE to be able to say WHY you have every ingredient in a recipe. If you cant give a reason why its there then it shouldnt be. You really want to keep recipes as simple as possible. But simple as far as everything has a purpose.

Hope that helps.

Good way of putting it @Hoddy , I can do that:

- I have pale because its my base malt for a pale ale and the carapils is for head retention (I know its debatable, I've read the brulosophy stuff, I just always have either carapils or more commonly torrified wheat in at around this level).

- I have the Vienna in for a bit of extra malty base. I tend to use either Melanoidin, Vienna or Munich at about 5%-15% for this purpose depending on how far I want to go towards the darker side. However this time I have split it between Vienna and Munich solely to see how they play together. I've not added any caramel/crystal in order not to overpower the flavour here.

- I have the citra in because I want to try a citra single hop, I've only ever used it combined with cascade and/or centennial before and never used it for bittering, always late additions and dry hops.

So this brew would essentially be for me to learn how Vienna and Munich combine and how Citra fares on its own. I like to have something new I am trying out in a brew rather than repeat my tried and tested recipes. So asking for advice I was probably more hoping for advice on the % volumes rather than to remove something. Unless anyone could really give a compelling reason to not bother even trying. I must admit looking in the GH book the only recipes I see that mix the two are lager styles, I've got a Marzen fermenting now with the same. (Thats another reason, I've got a bit of V+M left over in the cellar :-) )

Thanks for this advice - I am going to do that more often - make sure no ingredient is going in without knowing why its going in!

Good way of putting it @Hoddy , I can do that:

- I have pale because its my base malt for a pale ale and the carapils is for head retention (I know its debatable, I've read the brulosophy stuff, I just always have either carapils or more commonly torrified wheat in at around this level).

- I have the Vienna in for a bit of extra malty base. I tend to use either Melanoidin, Vienna or Munich at about 5%-15% for this purpose depending on how far I want to go towards the darker side. However this time I have split it between Vienna and Munich solely to see how they play together. I've not added any caramel/crystal in order not to overpower the flavour here.

- I have the citra in because I want to try a citra single hop, I've only ever used it combined with cascade and/or centennial before and never used it for bittering, always late additions and dry hops.

So this brew would essentially be for me to learn how Vienna and Munich combine and how Citra fares on its own. I like to have something new I am trying out in a brew rather than repeat my tried and tested recipes. So asking for advice I was probably more hoping for advice on the % volumes rather than to remove something. Unless anyone could really give a compelling reason to not bother even trying. I must admit looking in the GH book the only recipes I see that mix the two are lager styles, I've got a Marzen fermenting now with the same. (Thats another reason, I've got a bit of V+M left over in the cellar :-) )

Thanks for this advice - I am going to do that more often - make sure no ingredient is going in without knowing why its going in!

Hope that has helped. And yes with what you are doing is exploring how ingredients work. Which is half the fun of homebrewing. And I can see you have already asked yourself a few questions about the recipe make up.

What you should be able to do after more time of brewing new and different recipes is to change that approach into “I want the end beer to be rich, sweet, with a red hew and a prominent malt back bone” and then choose ingredients, in the right percentages to achieve what you want. So a question again to always ask yourself before formulating a recipe is “what do you want this beer to look, smell and taste like” and the go from there.

Any other tip. If you really want to get into formulating your own recipes the keep notes on each beer. Detailed ones that you can refer back to. That will really help you over time.

Back