Make more.. drink more?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
I took up this home brewing hobby last summer for a bit of fun and to make hopefully drinkable stuff and save a few quid at the same time.....

I'm pretty sure that Mrs S and I are caning through a sh*tload more booze than we might have done if it required going out to the shops to buy it.

I guess it requires a bit of willpower which I seem to be lacking in (although I did go the whole of sept 100% bevvy free 😯)

It doesn't bother me overly at the mo, I'm still one step behind my brother (an alcoholic), but curious to hear what anyone else thinks 😃

I certainly drink more than I used to, I do think about it sometimes but if you listen to the so called experts we are going to die if we eat processed meat, toast and don't eat our 5 a day (who does that) so I don't worry too much.

I am actually the opposite.. I decided to cut down a little coincidentally at the same time I was starting out. Haven't cut down a huge amount and not that I was drining exessively before.

Given the frequency I get to do a big AG brew it actually works out..

I drink a lot more than before I started HBing simply because there's no way I'd be able to afford to buy the equivalent amount I get through in HB. It's just sitting there shouting 'drink me' in the fridge.

@Chippy_Tea apparently it's supposed to be 7 fruit and veg a day but that was thought to be an unrealistic amount for the average Britain to consume so was cut back to 5

Yeah, I drink way more than I should. Actually not a huge amount per day - usually about 3 pints max - but it is every day. I'd drink less if I had a `proper' job but as I work from home, and only part time for much of the year, I spend much of the day in close proximity to a rather large stock of homebrew...

I don't drink a massive amount, a few glasses of wine a few times a week, I appreciate it more that way, so that means I have more to give away, (I don't really do much beer as it bloats me stomach too much)

Too much of anything is bad. The consensus among the ‘experts’ is a glass or two a day is not harmful and might actually be beneficial.

For that reason, I restrict my daily intake to 1 or 2 glasses.

‘Hiccup’!

big-beer-glasses.jpg

Yeah, I drink way more than I should. Actually not a huge amount per day - usually about 3 pints max - but it is every day. I'd drink less if I had a `proper' job but as I work from home, and only part time for much of the year, I spend much of the day in close proximity to a rather large stock of homebrew...

Snap, me too.

Certainly if brewing in bulk intake rises, but my body tells me when I've had enough, typically less than a bottle of wine per day, which in France is well within health guidelines.

Yeah I'm drinking more since I started homebrewing too. I would quite frequently not drink Mon-Wed, and some Thursdays. But that changed recently and I found I was drinking most days. This week I've taken Mon-Wed off. I did look in the fridge to see what was there. Only one swing top of cider, and I decided I didn't want that so put it back. I'll see how I go tomorrow. I might have one beer. We'll see. So for health reasons and the fact I would have no Coopers Pale Ale left for Christmas made me have a few nights off.

I'm finding the extra alcohol and the fact I've not done much exercise is showing too.

I gave up drinking wine about 18 months ago, because I was drinking too much of the stuff and it made me feel awful in the mornings.

I pretty much drink Beer and Single Malt, neither of which I can drink in vast quantities (beer fills me up too quickly and Single Malt is too expensive to get p##ed on). So I self restrict in that way. And I've been on the 5:2 diet for coming up two Years, so with that and other evening activities (driving the kids around), 3 or four nights a week are non drinking nights. That suits me fine.

My stash of Home brew is growing nicely for the moment!!

When you brew its hard,when you done the pub for your ale a night or two off it would be the easy option of not going down the local.But with the homebrew when its sitting there calling you to drink it you have to have an iron will to say begone you devil.I try to have a three day sabbatical from it,Mon,Tue, and Wednesday but again this week I have surrendered, as for the exercise now I'm retired from an active job I do go out for a 4 mile walk 3 days a week at least as I need to attack the ever increasing waist line

Certainly if brewing in bulk intake rises, but my body tells me when I've had enough, typically less than a bottle of wine per day, which in France is well within health guidelines.

That is interesting Tony, would that be a 750cl bottle, what is a standard %ABV over there?

I took up this home brewing hobby last summer for a bit of fun and to make hopefully drinkable stuff and save a few quid at the same time.....

I'm pretty sure that Mrs S and I are caning through a sh*tload more booze than we might have done if it required going out to the shops to buy it.

I guess it requires a bit of willpower which I seem to be lacking in (although I did go the whole of sept 100% bevvy free 😯)

It doesn't bother me overly at the mo, I'm still one step behind my brother (an alcoholic), but curious to hear what anyone else thinks 😃

I haven't been drinking as much as normal, probably due to the fact that my hubby is on tablets at the moment & he's not meant to drink - and he's my drinking partner. It's so easy to do though - there's only 4 glasses of wine per bottle! I don't drink during the week, but do on Friday & Saturday nights. I will probably get into the swing of things mind, as Christmas approaches. I've also agreed to do not only Dry January - but Dry February too. I think I had probably had a few when I agreed to do it mind :doh:

Latest posts

Back