Making vinegar from a spoilt batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matth

Reaction score
Early on in my first all grain experiments I didn't realise the amount that chlorine in water could ruin beer in the mash - anyway about my second brew I did a 7.5% ipa that went quite tcpish. I kept it to see if it mellowed, but no. Surprisingly I have drunk a bit of it but it's not that pleasant.
I am thinking of turning it all into vinegar, but will the top flavour carry through?
I know a lot of people turn infected brew into vinegar, but they are usually infections that smell like vinegar anyway.

Anyone tried this or know whether it will work?

Cheers

matth said:
Early on in my first all grain experiments I didn't realise the amount that chlorine in water could ruin beer in the mash

Add a mother of vinegar would do the job.

Had no idea that chlorine had that affect. I always use fresh tap water and didn't add campden tablets.

Cheers, would turning the beer into vinegar get rid of the top ness? - I don't fancy tcpvinegar!

My new house tap water is quite chloriney, although the actual amount varies - I now treat the water with campden tablets 24 hrs in advance!

matth said:
Cheers, would turning the beer into vinegar get rid of the top ness? - I don't fancy tcpvinegar!

My new house tap water is quite chloriney, although the actual amount varies - I now treat the water with campden tablets 24 hrs in advance!

My general experience is it's easy to put in flavours but not take them out. You'll probably soften the TCP but not remove it. Someone else might be along with an opinion... I've only made vinegar out of undrunk wine.

cheers, i don't know why i cant find this info anywhere - perhaps most people don't make the chlorine mistake! or cant be bothered with vinegar.

I might just give it a go as i cant see of anything else to do with it apart from bin it.

I don't think the Vinegar will dissipate the TCP unless the drop in pH affects it but I am not a chemist so I wouldn't know.

You should always use a campden tablet to treat your water, just crush it up and put it in your HLT prior to heating your mash water and sparge waters. It is instantaneous I believe as long as you crush it. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back