Mangrove Jack's juicy IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keenbutcher

Reaction score
Just started this kit today, couldn't get the enhancer so have gone with 1kg of dextrose Instead. No room in the fermenting fridge as I have a red IPA cold crashing in there so its gotta just stay inside, living room goes from about 19-22c at the moment so I'm hopi g it will be fine.SG was 1042 when I pitched the yeast at 24c. It smells amazing. Can see why so many people are raving about this kit. I have 50g of citra left over from my last brew was thinking about adding it in when I add the hops supplied with the kit for an extra citra burst if not it wrong last and will get chucked, any thought?

Last edited:
Done it myself but dont know if I would add to it it's very sweet and juicy u might want to see what original flavour is like

+1 on @labrewski I have made this kit 5 times now and only once did I spoil it with an addition of amber LME, still drank it but way below par on the original.
Cool guys I'll leave it then.
Had to change out the airlock today as it was blowing krausan out the top. Cobbled together a burping tube into a jar lol! Really busy fermenting. First time ive used this kind of fv(got a coopers on with loose lid)and didnt realise how my co2 was realised! It's going like the clippers!

Just started this kit today, couldn't get the enhancer so have gone with 1kg of dextrose Instead. No room in the fermenting fridge as I have a red IPA cold crashing in there so its gotta just stay inside, living room goes from about 19-22c at the moment so I'm hopi g it will be fine.SG was 1042 when I pitched the yeast at 24c. It smells amazing. Can see why so many people are raving about this kit. I have 50g of citra left over from my last brew was thinking about adding it in when I add the hops supplied with the kit for an extra citra burst if not it wrong last and will get chucked, any thought?
made the same with 100G citra, it was great. Add it!

Ye out of nearly a year doing mj kits that all took 3 weeks to finish and 2 to carb I was drinking this one in just over 3 weeks everything is fast with it fairly aggressive fermentation lol

Ye out of nearly a year doing mj kits that all took 3 weeks to finish and 2 to carb I was drinking this one in just over 3 weeks everything is fast with it fairly aggressive fermentation lol
You are drinking it after 3 weeks? From when you started the whole thing? That's FAST!

What sort of flavours did you get with this kit? My Daughter loves a fruity ale I did the Bull Dog Strawberry Pale ale which turned out great and very Strawberry which she loves so I got a juicy IPA but have not brewed it yet?

What sort of flavours did you get with this kit? My Daughter loves a fruity ale I did the Bull Dog Strawberry Pale ale which turned out great and very Strawberry which she loves so I got a juicy IPA but have not brewed it yet?
Sweet and juicy is all I can say I'm not great at pinpointing exact flavours mild tasting

I would say like tropical fruit flavours and still retains a slight bittering in the aftertaste, you know it's an IPA .

One thing I'm still not sure about and think I may be making mistakes with these kits. It says add the hops after 7days for last 3 days of fermentation. But this doesnt allow for a cold crash...
So my question is do you?
A) Add the hops during cold crash?
B) Add the hops and then remove for the cold crash?
C) Add the hops for the last 3 days and leave in for the cold crash?
I've been doing 'C' but in not sure if that's the right method or not, thought maybe you would lose some of the hoppyness if left too long?

I add my dry hop addition at around 1.020/25 and wait for fermentation to finish then cold crash with them in but adding them 3 - 4 days prior would be about right then cold crash with them in.

One thing I'm still not sure about and think I may be making mistakes with these kits. It says add the hops after 7days for last 3 days of fermentation. But this doesnt allow for a cold crash...
So my question is do you?
A) Add the hops during cold crash?
B) Add the hops and then remove for the cold crash?
C) Add the hops for the last 3 days and leave in for the cold crash?
I've been doing 'C' but in not sure if that's the right method or not, thought maybe you would lose some of the hoppyness if left too long?
What I have done is to allow the fermentation to finish or thereabouts, however long that takes, being guided by my hydrometer not a specified time. Then add the hops, leave for 3-4 days in the warm then move to a cold place for further 2 days then package.
The kit instructions being time based allow nothing for the speed of fermentation, and so if you add hops too early and the fermentation is still underway the CO2 will strip out some of the the aroma oils you want to keep in your beer. And further if you add them at 7 days there is no guarantee that the fermentation will be finished within the 3 days specified.
Some fermentations can bumble along for days after they were supposed to be finished, and so it is not advisable to package until they are finished plus a bit,. and so an intended 3, 4, 5 or 6 days on the hops could turn out to be a lot longer which, may not be advisable

I'm thinking I would like this beer to be a bit hazy if possible, if I didnt cold crash and just put straight into the keg once fermentation was done would this help give me that effect? Of would it all just drop out as soon as the keg went into the fridge to be drunk?

I'm thinking I would like this beer to be a bit hazy if possible, if I didnt cold crash and just put straight into the keg once fermentation was done would this help give me that effect? Of would it all just drop out as soon as the keg went into the fridge to be drunk?
Depends on what has dropped out before you keg but most brews are hazy (yeasty) when bottled/kegged and it drops out whilst carbing/conditioning.

Last edited:
So it would just clear and all end up in the bottom of the keg instead of ther fermenter then I guess.
Any way to achieve that hazy effect that some ipa's have?

I add my dry hop addition at around 1.020/25 and wait for fermentation to finish then cold crash with them in but adding them 3 - 4 days prior would be about right then cold crash with them in.
When does your juicy ipa usually finish? Does it go the whole 14 days? Or more? Just checked mine(day 6) SG was 1012 so I added the citra thinking it cant have much more to go on it

Back