Mangrove Jacks Kviek

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it works well also I am cringing at my post I clearly had had one too many when I posted seeing all the incomprehensible spelling mistakes that and auto correct on my a iPad makes for some weird posts.
don't worry I can't even type properly when sober! - As to Kviek I will be getting MJ's or another dried version as soon as the HB shops supply & demand shortages sort themselves out.

Hope it works well also I am cringing at my post I clearly had had one too many when I posted seeing all the incomprehensible spelling mistakes that and auto correct on my a iPad makes for some weird posts.
Certainly looks like it's doing alright.
Pitched at around 36c and now 39c, was pretty active within an a couple of hours.

don't worry I can't even type properly when sober! - As to Kviek I will be getting MJ's or another dried version as soon as the HB shops supply & demand shortages sort themselves out.
MM was where I got the dried version when I ordered my other ingredients, would I have gone liquid if any were in stock at the time? Maybe. I can see this dried yeast as my go to now, depending on the results

I used the lallemand dried yeast for my American Amber yesterday. I have switched to kviek yeast mainly due to the time and takes too long to chill to normal yeast. Having more dried yeast variants will be good, liquids sell out quick or double the cost of the dried

I'd be really interested to know how this works out. I did my favourite AA with exactly this yeast a couple of months ago and I must say I found it disappointing. The raw hop flavours were still in the right ball-park, but (at a 35c fermentation at least) most of the body had been stripped away compared to the standard US-05 we normally use. It's still OK but very hop heavy, no longer that beautiful balanced full and piney beer that a good AA should be.

I'd be really interested to know how this works out. I did my favourite AA with exactly this yeast a couple of months ago and I must say I found it disappointing. The raw hop flavours were still in the right ball-park, but (at a 35c fermentation at least) most of the body had been stripped away compared to the standard US-05 we normally use. It's still OK but very hop heavy, no longer that beautiful balanced full and piney beer that a good AA should be.
Certainly will, I popped my head in the larder fridge/ fermentation chamber this morning and there's no to very little activity in the airlock. expected its finished fermenting. So going to get a hydro sample later.
My AA wasn't planning to be on the piney side I used manderina braveria, galaxy and enigma. So more spicy and tropical. When I measured the OG I could had a faint taste of the tropical already.

Certainly will, I popped my head in the larder fridge/ fermentation chamber this morning and there's no to very little activity in the airlock. expected its finished fermenting. So going to get a hydro sample later.
My AA wasn't planning to be on the piney side I used manderina braveria, galaxy and enigma. So more spicy and tropical. When I measured the OG I could had a faint taste of the tropical already.

Looking forward to it! And interesting choice of hops. I can see from your blog the reason why and it's a really nice idea.

Looking forward to it! And interesting choice of hops. I can see from your blog the reason why and it's a really nice idea.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200619173119547_COVER.jpg

It maybe be fresh from the fermenter but it's balanced, with the hops lingering last in a really nice way, coats the mouth.
Just going to have to wait to carb up now for a week or so.
I'm super happy about how this has turned out.
I have another thread about the beer itself which I'll update over the weekend with a link to my brewday pictures and how it all went.

The room temp voss in the 3 way split I did is ready to bottle so I'll be able to see how the tastes compare in a few weeks. It's an elderflower ale and I do think they high temp ones have lost a lot of flavour.

Just had a cheeky swig or five of the rice lager I did with voss at 39c and initially it was just so like squash that I thought it was a waste of time. It's had a few weeks and that's levelling off and it's becoming almost like a beer. I've put some into the fridge to do actual lagering with so I can see if it makes a difference. I'll update as that happens.

For me voss at 39c definitely wouldn't be a go-to based on the results so far as it makes the beer really one dimentional.

Latest posts

Back