Mangrove Jacks Kviek

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Was mooching on the MJ site and noticed they now do a kviek. I wonder if it's repackaged Lallemande kviek?

A top fermenting yeast, Voss Kveik offers fast fermentation at very high temperatures whilst retaining a neutral flavour character with subtle citrus fruit notes.

M12 Kveik Yeast is suitable for a range of styles from Norwegian Farmhouse Ales to Pale Ales and IPAs.

Attenuation: High (77-82 %)

Flocculation: Very High (5/5)

Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly onto a maximum of 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. Suitable to ferment 20-40 °C (68-104 °F) but for optimal results ferment at 30-40 °C (86-104 F)

https://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts/products/kveik-yeast-10g

Great!! That's me being able to brew during summer!
Are these commercial versions any good?

Great!! That's me being able to brew during summer!
Are these commercial versions any good?

I can't speak for this specific one, but many of the dry ones appearing are the proper Kveik blends as opposed to isolates.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lallemande one? I've had a quick shufty on the page I normally buy from and they have it.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lallemande one? I've had a quick shufty on the page I normally buy from and they have it.

I just bottled my first brew using the Lallemand Voss Kveik. Seemed to work OK. I fermented between 36 and 40 degrees C, constantly monitored. OG was 1052 and I still had activity after 72 hours. I bottled at around 144 hours (6 days) at an SG of 1014. This was a stout with quite strong chocolate and roasted flavours. Unfortunately I didn't detect the hoped for orange peel flavours from the yeast, but maybe they'll come out more after a couple of weeks aging. Other than that, yeast worked fine, worked at high temps as advertised and was quite quick.

I am really glad we are starting to see more and more dried Kviek. I use liquid kviek last summer and given that I don’t have temperature control it made summer brewing so much easier.

I brewed a batch a few weeks back with Crossmyloof dried Kriek (a Voss as well) and worked really well.

Is the CML this I wonder...I got 4 pkts lurking in the yeast storage chamber (kitchen fridge ).
Ive never tried Voss before, and just trying the beer I recently made with it (was a Wilko Lighthouse Keeper kit) it certainly does,have quite a distinctive flavour slightly tart (As in the profile for the yeast) but all in all rather pleasant, I would say more Apple than orange but still works well. Nice thing about Kveik is that the flavours work in summer beers.

Yeah it'll be mad pitching at 35/40...
It’s unnerving I do no chill so first tI enjoy I used it pitching staff 35 (Omega Hothead) left thinking have I killed it. Was during the really hot summer last year and seeing a beer happily fermenting when it was 30 degrees outside and the internal temperature on the fermentor was 35.

My most recent batch with it was done at more normal temperatures 20 degrees wasn’t as fast but still worked well. As dried kveik becomes more common I can see it becoming my defunct choice, will see more than just Voss available.

As dried kveik becomes more common I can see it becoming my defunct choice, will see more than just Voss available.
I used the lallemand dried yeast for my American Amber yesterday. I have switched to kviek yeast mainly due to the time and takes too long to chill to normal yeast. Having more dried yeast variants will be good, liquids sell out quick or double the cost of the dried

I used the lallemand dried yeast for my American Amber yesterday. I have switched to kviek yeast mainly due to the time and takes too long to chill to normal yeast. Having more dried yeast variants will be good, liquids sell out quick or double the cost of the dried
Hope it works well also I am cringing at my post I clearly had had one too many when I posted seeing all the incomprehensible spelling mistakes that and auto correct on my a iPad makes for some weird posts.

Latest posts

Back