The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutznutz

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I started a Mangrove Jacks Munich Lager kit on Sunday and still little action through the airlock? Anyone know if Mangrove Jacks Californian Lager Yeast M54 is a slow burner and needs time?

I used the full Munich Lager can, a pack of Mangrove Jacks Malt Enhancer (light) and Cali Lager Yeast M54, 23ltrs produced, pitched at 20c and it’s been temperature controlled at 19c.

I took a peek after 24hrs and no difference from brew day, 3 days in and noticed roughly 5mm of foam on top but no movement through the airlock, so left it shut and on day 5 nothing has changed, no pressure in the barrel and no movement in the airlock....

... do I leave it and wait?.. or throw in the yeast supplied with the can to give it a proper kick start?

Don't worry too much about airlock action. Foam is a good sign. I put one on a few weeks ago with M54 and it was a slow starter and never went nuts but it ate through the sugars no bother.

Best way to know if the yeast is doing its thing is to take a gravity reading. If it's going down, the yeast is busy

7 days in now, gravity is currently 1.016 yesterday was 1.018 (SG was 1.042) and more foam compared to yesterday as well... so it looks like it’s just a slow burner, happy days!

You getting any banana aromas? Mine has turned out very much like a hefeweizen.

You getting any banana aromas? Mine has turned out very much like a hefeweizen.

I never got any banana aromas... but unfortunately I never give it a diaceytl rest which has given it a buttery taste

I know it’s late but my advice is to Give this kit diaceytl rest!!!

Latest posts

Back