Manse Mashup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not far off export stout either. As well as old ale. Check out Export India Porter.

It's not far off export stout either. As well as old ale. Check out Export India Porter.
EI it is! Found a couple of recipes, and mine pretty much fits, especially the amount of black malt. Now do I dry hop this style, and if so how much EKG?!

Thinking 25g EKG, 25g Bramling....it's going to be in the fv for two weeks, so day 10 is when they'll go in.

I've just boiled 300g of licorice. According to the packet 110.7g of sugar. I'm going to add 100ml molasses (61g sugar) and there's my priming solution. Let's see how it goes!

Hate to break this, manse, but liquorice is the devil's sh*t

It's all a question of taste - perhaps ours differ! For instance, I am very partial to a pint or three of Poachers Choice...

of course, I'm just being a tit. It is foul though, can't imagine why you'd want it in beer!
Thinking about it, there's nothing I particularly want in beer other than traditional beer ingredients. Elderflower is about the only thing I can think of.
Last time I was in the states inhad a beer made with salt and chilli (in one of those taster rack things you get), it was disgusting, even the barman said it was rank

SG 1067, took a sample today - 1034 (4.4 ABV), and still bubbling. This is going to be a biggy I think. Sample tasted good, nice hoppy kick and a rich flavour from the amount of black I put in it. In two minds whether to dry hop now, it already has a nice flavour....

SG 1067, took a sample today - 1034 (4.4 ABV), and still bubbling. This is going to be a biggy I think. Sample tasted good, nice hoppy kick and a rich flavour from the amount of black I put in it. In two minds whether to dry hop now, it already has a nice flavour....

Whens it ready and i will book my flights :lol:

15 days in, still bubbling every 20 seconds or so. Dry hopped yesterday with 20g EKG. It's down to 1026....5.4% and rising!

This went into the fv on the 19th of June. Just had a week away, came back and it's still fermenting! Took a sample as soon as I got back (I was sure it would have finished). SG 1067, last night 1012 - 7.3%. Went into the garage this morning and heard it bubbling! I don't think I'll be racing my way through this one!!

This went into the fv on the 19th of June. Just had a week away, came back and it's still fermenting! Took a sample as soon as I got back (I was sure it would have finished). SG 1067, last night 1012 - 7.3%. Went into the garage this morning and heard it bubbling! I don't think I'll be racing my way through this one!!

Wow, I had some of my 2nd part of my HBC IPA last night its nearly 8%,.. you cannot drink that too fast.

Sounds really nice to me but I think like Poachers Choice you might split the crowd with this one.

This is one to keep for Christmas I think.
I think you might be right - as we speak I have dissolved 250g black treacle along with the licorice syrup I made last month. Temp at the minute 35°c. When it gets to 22 it's into a secondary fv. In October a mate of mine's damsons will be ready - Poachers with a twist!

Christmas might be too far away - just had 'a curiosity bottle'. Clear as a bell, burnt malt taste with a backing of sweetness from the licorice and treacle. Slight dark frothy head (disappeared quickly, but only to be expected given one day conditioning). Bloody lovely pint.

Latest posts

Back