Mansfield Bitter-Ish Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewday from Yestrerday (15/8/15). My First one in the 'new' Burco with its false bottom

Mansfield Bitter Style Ale (Increased ABV)

Malt

3.5kg Marris Otter
0.6kg Golden Syrup (added during boil)
0.5kg CaraMalt

Hops (using no chill)

First Wort Hops (40mins boiling, equiv to 60mins chilled)
13g Fuggles
13g Progress
Flameout (Equiv to 20mins in a chilled system)
12g Fuggles
12g progress

• Starting gravity 1.050 (approx 75%, not bad considering I used a full volume mash rather than sparging)

• Chilled overnight in FV and Pitched with Safale US04. Dropped to 10 hours after yeast pitching.

I may dry hop or make a hop tea depending of how it tastes. I feel at 28 IBU's for a 5% beer could be a little low

Antony

Well, it's been a few years since I last had a night out in Mansfield. You took your life in your hands!

Used to live in Sutton in Ashfield, and drank in a social club - Mansfield Bitter. Easy uncomplicated drinking, in my easy and uncomplicated youth!

Hope it tastes as good as the memories that you have brought back for me.!

Cheers

Martin

Brewday from Yestrerday (15/8/15). My First one in the 'new' Burco with its false bottom

Mansfield Bitter Style Ale (Increased ABV)

Malt

3.5kg Marris Otter
0.6kg Golden Syrup (added during boil)
0.5kg CaraMalt

Hops (using no chill)

First Wort Hops (40mins boiling, equiv to 60mins chilled)
13g Fuggles
13g Progress
Flameout (Equiv to 20mins in a chilled system)
12g Fuggles
12g progress

• Starting gravity 1.050 (approx 75%, not bad considering I used a full volume mash rather than sparging)

• Chilled overnight in FV and Pitched with Safale US04. Dropped to 10 hours after yeast pitching.

I may dry hop or make a hop tea depending of how it tastes. I feel at 28 IBU's for a 5% beer could be a little low

Antony

I'd definately up the IBU as it's going to be very sweet if you dont. You've got ESB strengh with ordinary bitter IBU. The OG/IBU balance is going to be way out of wack

I'd definately up the IBU as it's going to be very sweet if you dont. You've got ESB strengh with ordinary bitter IBU. The OG/IBU balance is going to be way out of wack

Okay, Can I do this just before bottling, as I understand No chill increases hop utilisation, so I'd like to check it before bottling. Looking at style guidelines, ESB's typically have 30-40 IBU's, so the 28 IBU I brewed it to might not be far off (especially with first wort hopping, and no chill effects)

I guess adding 5-10 IBU's would get me in the ballpark, I assume if I feel the need, I can just do a long hop tea to get these?

Having actually looked at your receipe and not just the IBU's and OG I think you'll be fine as the golden syrup will help to dry the beer out , plus as you say your no-chilling so you can count on some extra IBU from than too

Had a sample today, its not quite fermented out, so its still a little sweet, I need to see if it will dry out a little more before I make the decision about adding extra bitterness. Either way, I'm tempted to make a hop tea to add some more flavour, and dry hop for some aroma (I know its not accurate, but neither is the ABV, and I did say 'Ish')

I'll let you know how it goes, I'll be racking it to the secondary FV to clear next weekend, and then It will be off to the keg in a few weeks :D

Drank Mansfield Bitter in my university bar back in 1979-82. 27p a pint. :thumb:

Although Mansfield Bitter was in my Union Bar at Sheffield in the late 1960s, we went down the pub to drink Tennants or Tetley Bitter, or for those who liked sucking lemons Stones Bitter, however I do remember it was about 1/9d (i.e. about 9 'new pence') a pint :-o.

Okay, Boredom has taken over, I'm currently boiling 4 g of fuggles and 4g of progress to add another 5-10 IBU's of bitterness, and then going 6 and 6 for 15 mins to up the flavour and aroma.

I'll see what I think about dry hopping closer to kegging time, although this is starting to look more like an IPA than a bitter!

Including the extra liquid, it will probably stand at around 4.5%ABV, and 32/37 IBUs

Tasting a week afterwards, its leared nicely, and I think its just about the beer I want it to be, I think a hop tea/dry hop will get it pretty much to the beefed up mansfield bitter sort of ale I'm wanting.

However, I do have some EKG sitting on the shelf that is screaming for me to put it in, but I'm still undecided. It would move it away from mansfield, but I'm absolutely certain it would make it amazing.

Okay, I'm feeling that this weekend is about time to move it somewhere,

If its clear-ish and tastes good, it will be going into a corny, otherwise it might be headed for the pressure barrel.

Okay, its now sitting in the pressure barrel. I get the horrible feeling there might have been some sort of infection effecting the top, so I only syphoned 15 of my 20L, hopefully this will remain okay.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out when i have a sample next week

Definitely some sharp aftertaste, I think it might be infected, but I dont need that PB desperately, so I'll leave it and hope it fades.

It's 5 days old so it's still very green. A lot of 'off flavours' are simply a beer being green rather than being truly off . Give it a few weeks conditioning before deciding if it's off

It's 5 days old so it's still very green. A lot of 'off flavours' are simply a beer being green rather than being truly off . Give it a few weeks conditioning before deciding if it's off

Indeedy, however I'm not feeling optimistic about it, especially as I've just had a pint of my porter directly out the fermenter!

I noticed you no-chilled. Did you leave the first wort hops in there of strain/fish them out after the boil had finished?

I strained them through my tubs false bottom, then chilled in a FV. It doesnt take like the beer is overly bitter, more a sharp, acidic taste. Basically its faintly like some brews I've thrown away to infection.

Latest posts

Back