Marathon Training

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been telling myself for ages that I was going to start going to the gym and get fit etc. With no incentive though I never bothered. So in a complete moment of madness I signed myself up for the Manchester Marathon 2014.

Now training is in full swing I just started doing some strength work tonight and I am now in agony!!!!

So is anyone else doing it? Or have you done one? Got any tips or advice?

Good luck, the fact you have committed yourself means you will have a go at it. :thumb:

I ran London just over 10 Years ago, I may do it again one day. I ran for charity, but I was a lot younger and fitter then.

I have never been a natural runner, but have always been able to cycle for miles so general fitness wasn't a real issue then, but my running style was terrible. I was recommended to see a running coach, she taught to me to run in the most economical way possible, it made a huge difference and I would highly recommend it.

Good luck, train well and you will be fine.

If you haven't already, get fitted for trainers to match your gait ;)

When you see people running,
There puffing and panting,
Sweating poring out of them,
Carrie bottles of water 1/2 mile from home.
Bright red in colour, blood pressure
Through the roof.look as if there
Going to have a heart attack
Any moment. groaning,
Looking as if there ever going to make it home.
I even know someone who died
On a exercise bike in a jim...

Who's fit them or me ?.

When is the marathon?

First go to a decent running shop and get some trainers properly fitted

Start off with low milage 2 miles per run and build up slowly. Add a mile on each week

Set yourself a program running up to the marathon and stick to, this may include hill sprints, interval training and a long run each week. Have a look on the internet there is usually a few around.

Book yourself onto a few shorter runs before the event. Some 10km and possibly a half marathon it's more fun running with others and give you an idea on what to expect on the day

Work out whats best for you to eat and drink before and during the race. Everyones different, I go for a large bowl of porridge two hours before and a bananna one hour before the start with a few gels on the way round.

Lube your nipples on a long run (10+ miles) or you'll be in agony for days after

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice :thumb:

I have a proper pair of trainers but they are going to need replacing within hte next month or 2. I also have a set of molded insoles from skiing that are really helping.

Runwell-Steve said:
I have never been a natural runner, but have always been able to cycle for miles so general fitness wasn't a real issue then, but my running style was terrible. I was recommended to see a running coach, she taught to me to run in the most economical way possible, it made a huge difference and I would highly recommend it.

Not much af a natural runner myself so I will look into this Steve :thumb:

andybrew said:
Lube your nipples

I know all about the nipples but am a bit am not yet at 10 miles. I started out at 3miles. The aim is 3 runs a week with 1 long and 2 interval then 2 days of strength and stablisation and 2 days rest. The first strength session last night has made me really hurt today, can bearly walk!

I ran one last year and the year before and I used the Hal Higdon plans. I would suggest the novice set that best fits you.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135 ... ning-Guide

Definitely go to a running shop and have them fit you for trainers. I didn't do that when I first started running and messed my foot up for a bit. Get yourself a good water/fuel belt to wear on your long runs. Don't run every day! Don't get discouraged when you have a bad run. You WILL have bad runs!

Join a site like dailymile.com. You can log your training miles there and get advice/support from other runners.

Above all else, have fun!!!

Baz

alanywiseman said:
Forgot to say the marathon is in Manchester.

All I can say is....good luck :shock:

and take a waterproof, a taser, a manc accent, some boiled sweets (to hand out to the starving children), and an iPod with The Stone Roses on repeat :D

I did one nearly 30 years ago, not really run anywhere (even for a bus) since, it put me right off :(

On the other hand, my BIL did the one the year after and hasn't stopped doing them since, he now does iron man competitions and regularly finishes ahead of men half his age.

I suppose it comes down to preparation, he trained for it, I did it for a bet (won the bet), and my training was running 3 miles a day to my local and 3 miles back, instead of the usual walk each way. Had I not been a reasonably fit 20 year old I'd never have survived, let alone finished :)

I have had to take it a bit easy this week as I got really bad shin splints so will be going to get new trainers tomorrow so fingers crossed that helps.

Thanks for the links Baz, I will have a good look at them and start logging my training miles :thumb:

brewtim said:
take a waterproof, a taser, a manc accent, some boiled sweets (to hand out to the starving children), and an iPod with The Stone Roses on repeat :D

That all makes sense to me but I wil shove the Stone Roses where the sun dont shine :D

Training is in full swing TRXnMe but Christmas and new year will be a trying time I am guessing

A good tip for shin splints is to walk around on your heels from time to time with your toes pulled off the floor. It looks a bit strange but it does work in that it excercises the muscles at the front of the leg.

Wezzel said:
A good tip for shin splints is to walk around on your heels from time to time with your toes pulled off the floor. It looks a bit strange but it does work in that it excercises the muscles at the front of the leg.

Thanks for this, I will give it a go. I have been icing them after exercise to try and reduce the swelling. Fingers crossed within a few weeks they will be gone :pray:

Good luck with the training... I like the idea of lubed nipples...Am I right in saying that its a good idea to also lube your nethers prior to a long run?? The thought of chapped nuts puts me right off the idea of jogging

Latest posts

Back